Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2017/11/01 14:17:11 UTC

[VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha4 Release Candidate is available

The first release candidate for HBase 2.0.0-alpha4 is up at:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-2.0.0-alpha4RC0/

Maven artifacts are available from a staging directory here:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1178

All was signed with my key at 8ACC93D2 [1]

I tagged the RC as 2.0.0-alpha4RC0
(5c4b985f89c99cc8b0f8515a4097c811a0848835)

hbase-2.0.0-alpha4 is our fourth alpha release along our march toward
hbase-2.0.0. It includes all that was in previous alphas (new assignment
manager, offheap read/write path, in-memory compactions, etc.), but had a
focus on "Coprocessor Fixup": We no longer pass Coprocessors
InterfaceAudience.Private parameters and we cut down on the access and
ability to influence hbase core processing (See [2] on why the radical
changes in Coprocessor Interface). If you are a Coprocessor developer or
have Coprocessors to deploy on hbase-2.0.0, we need to hear about your
experience now before we make an hbase-2.0.0 beta.

hbase-2.0.0-alpha4 is a rough cut ('alpha'), not-for-production preview of
what hbase-2.0.0 will look like. It is meant for devs and downstreamers to
test drive and flag us early if we messed up anything ahead of our rolling
GAs.

The list of features addressed in 2.0.0 so far can be found here [3]. There
are thousands. The list of ~2k+ fixes in 2.0.0 exclusively can be found
here [4] (My JIRA JQL foo is a bit dodgy -- forgive me if mistakes).

I've updated our overview doc. on the state of 2.0.0 [6]. 2.0.0-beta-1 will
be our next release. Its theme is the "Finishing up 2.0.0" release. Here is
the list of what we have targeted for beta-1 [5]. Check it out. Shout if
there is anything missing. We may do a 2.0.0-beta-2 if a need. We'll see.

Please take this alpha for a spin especially if you are a Coprocessor
developer or have a Coprocessor you want to deploy on hbase-2.0.0. Please
vote on whether it ok to put out this RC as our first alpha (bar is low for
an 'alpha' -- e.g. CHANGES.txt has not been updated). Let the VOTE be open
for 72 hours (Saturday)

Thanks,
Your 2.0.0 Release Manager

1. http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9816C7FC8ACC93D2
2. Why CPs are Incompatible:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/edit#heading=h.9k7mjbauv0wj
3. https://goo.gl/scYjJr
4. https://goo.gl/tMHkYS
5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12340861
6.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/

Re: [VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha4 Release Candidate is available

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding), found 1 issue.

Checked signatures, sums - OK
Built from source tar and git tag (Oracle JDK 1.8.0_151, Maven 3.5.2) - OK
Rat check - OK
Starting standalone server from bin tar - OK
LTT with 1M rows - OK
LICENSE, NOTICE - OK

Problem:
Starting standalone server after building from src tar fails: same problem
that Guanghao Zhang had. HBASE-18705

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Questions/ concerns:

* Staging directory naming convention changed between alpha-3 and alpha-4:
hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3RC0/
hbase-2.0.0-alpha4RC0/

* .gitignore be included in source bundle, can it be dropped?

Verifications:

* Download the src tarball: good.

* Verify the checksums and signature:  good.

* Extract and build from source. openjdk version "1.8.0_131": good.

* Rat check: good.

* Download the bin tarball: good.

*  Verify the checksums and signature: good.

*  Extract it and verify layout visually: good.
* Start a local instance. Run the 'hbase shell' with some basic table commands:
good.

* Run ltt with 10 million rows and 2 columns/ row: good.

* Inspect logs: good.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Sums and signatures: ok
Spot check LICENSE and NOTICE: ok
RAT check: ok
Built from source: ok (8u133)
LTT, 1M rows: ok (8u133)

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha4 Release Candidate is available

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding), found 1 issue.

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Downloaded src tar and bin tar.
After building the src code tried to start from the src/bin folder. But it
had the cached_classpath issue. I can see that already the issue has been
backported.

Then started master and region server with bin tar. Ran PE tool. All looks
fine.

Infact ran PE tool with AsyncWAL also to verify its performance. Seems it
is faster than the normal WAL. (but we are not looking for this now).
Overall +1.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I backported HBASE-18705.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.
Download src and build pass.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

* UT's mostly ok. Exceptions being: TestNamespacesInstanceResource,
TestReplicaWithCluster, TestReplicationAdmin, and
TestRegionServerHostname consistently fail for me locally (commented on
HBASE-19147)
* xsum+sigs OK
* can build from source
* src archive contents looks OK (exception below)
* Built, deployed locally, ran PE without issue

I stumbled across
src/main/site/resources/repo/org/apache/maven/skins/maven-fluido-skin/1.5-HBASE/maven-fluido-skin-1.5-HBASE.jar
in the source archive which was introduced via
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14785. Best as I can tell,
this was a hack to work around a fluido-skin bug and we should be able
to remove it now. Not sure if we've already discussed the

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Done.