Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@apache.org> on 2021/05/04 10:16:02 UTC

Gradle wrapper in source distribution

Hello,

I know that this has been discussed in various places and jiras [1] but I am not sure there is an official answer to the question if it is fine to include gradle-wrapper.jar in source distribution or not.

The situation at the moment is that some projects do include it (and there are various Apache releases with the jar present) and other projects exclude it and rely on other methods to download it via scripts.

Current the Apache Calcite/Avatica releases are blocked (it's already a month now) due to disagreements around this topic [2, 3].

Summing up:
Does the inclusion of the gradle-wrapper.jar in the source distribution consists in violation of the ASF release policy (speaking for today)?
If yes, is there ongoing discussion to reconsider this case (LEGAL-288) in the near future (next month or so)?

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-288
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4575
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r984a3eec736dfd7ffd94fdaabe0355e3e23d712a079aba279d3ffaac%40%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E

Re: Gradle wrapper in source distribution

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this, much appreciated. I know that the discussion has surfaced quite a few times but couldn't find a concrete reference to the gradle-wrapper.jar specifically (in a "public" list).

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I know that this has been discussed in various places and jiras [1] but I am not sure there is an official answer to the question if it is fine to include gradle-wrapper.jar in source distribution or not.

Currently grade jars or in fact any jars are not allowed in source releases. There may be an exception if you include the source code as well, but IMO to be on the safe side they should not be included.

> The situation at the moment is that some projects do include it

I’m unaware of any projects that do this in their source release. I’d be interested to know which projects do this.

> Summing up:
> Does the inclusion of the gradle-wrapper.jar in the source distribution consists in violation of the ASF release policy (speaking for today)?
> If yes, is there ongoing discussion to reconsider this case (LEGAL-288) in the near future (next month or so)?

The build tools allowed to be included in source releases are not jars. LEGAL-288 has been closed for some time.

Thanks,
Justin