Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Philibert Pérusse <pp...@gsmproducts.ca> on 2006/03/02 17:17:09 UTC

svnserve - Case sensitive username issue on Windows

Anybody got a work around to avoid svnserve to use case-sensitive usernames.
On Windows, a user might login with PHILIBERT.PERUSSE or philibert.perusse
or Philibert.Perusse without problems...

But then the credentials would fail when connecting to svnserve repositories
because the pass-db & authz files would only list "philibert.perusse"...

I certainly guess I am not the first one to have this problem. Anyone can
suggest something other than: "just tell your developers to always login
with all caps low".

Thanks

philibert

Re: svnserve - Case sensitive username issue on Windows

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
Philibert Pérusse wrote:
> Anybody got a work around to avoid svnserve to use case-sensitive
> usernames. On Windows, a user might login with PHILIBERT.PERUSSE or
> philibert.perusse or Philibert.Perusse without problems...
>
> But then the credentials would fail when connecting to svnserve
> repositories because the pass-db & authz files would only list
> "philibert.perusse"...

I'm using svnserve 1.2.3 + svnperms.py and have no problem with this.  I
think your problem must be with authz authentication.  The SSPI auth
module has a 'SSPIUsernameCase lower' directive to get around this.  I
don't know about other methods.

-Nathan

Re: svnserve - Case sensitive username issue on Windows

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@mobsol.be>.
Quoting Philibert Pérusse <pp...@gsmproducts.ca>:

> Anybody got a work around to avoid svnserve to use case-sensitive usernames.
> On Windows, a user might login with PHILIBERT.PERUSSE or philibert.perusse
> or Philibert.Perusse without problems...
>
> But then the credentials would fail when connecting to svnserve repositories
> because the pass-db & authz files would only list "philibert.perusse"...
>
> I certainly guess I am not the first one to have this problem. Anyone can
> suggest something other than: "just tell your developers to always login
> with all caps low".

That's what I'm saying to the 200+ developers that are using TortoiseSVN. A
small percentage of that forgets it from time to time, but eventually they'll
learn.

As far as I know, there's only one partial alternative, and that's using apache
+ active directory. Then atleast the authentication part is case insensitive.
But, if you're also using path-based authorization that we'll still depend on
exact case usage.

Lieven.

Re: svnserve - Case sensitive username issue on Windows

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Philibert Pérusse wrote:
> Anybody got a work around to avoid svnserve to use case-sensitive
> usernames. On Windows, a user might login with PHILIBERT.PERUSSE or
> philibert.perusse or Philibert.Perusse without problems...
>
> But then the credentials would fail when connecting to svnserve
> repositories because the pass-db & authz files would only list
> "philibert.perusse"...
>
> I certainly guess I am not the first one to have this problem. Anyone
> can suggest something other than: "just tell your developers to always
> login with all caps low".
>
> Thanks
>

> philibert

You could load all common forms of that username (username, Username,
USERNAME) into the authz file.  I've seen that mentioned in the list and
possibly even in the Book.

Regards,
Frank