Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Wederbrand <an...@wederbrand.se> on 2010/12/10 09:20:33 UTC

How can I tell Hudson to build the modules instead of the jobs?

Hi!

I have a alot of jobs on Hudson, most of which are really small and
consist of just a few modules. But one is big and consist of several
modules.

When ever I make a commit to our subversion repository for any of
those several modules in that big job, Hudson builds the entire job
instead of just the module that have changed.

It doesn't matter if I just scm-polling or a subversion hook, the
result is the same.

It seems to me like it would be better if the modules where built
instead of the jobs since the other modules in other jobs have
dependencies to the modules and not to the jobs.

Can this be configured or do I have to create several jobs instead of
the big one? And if so, can I configure the big job to never build
when any of it's modules are being triggered but still build when it's
own pom.xml is changed?

Thanks.

--
Read my blog @ http://www.raven.nu/blog

Re: How can I tell Hudson to build the modules instead of the jobs?

Posted by Andreas Wederbrand <an...@wederbrand.se>.
That box doesn't do what I need. Sure, only changed modules get built
(in the same build I might add) but it also makes all other jobs that
have dependencies to any of the modules downstream jobs so commiting
any change to any module will force a complete rebuild of all
dependent modules (and not just dependent on the changed module).

I'll try the hudson list, perhaps it's better there.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Sure, that will work but I was hoping for some kind of setting in
> hudson or the job "treat modules as jobs" or "treat this job's modules
> as jobs".

In that case, wouldn't this conversation be more productive on the
Hudson Users mailing list rather than Maven Users??

Wayne

Re: How can I tell Hudson to build the modules instead of the jobs?

Posted by Andreas Wederbrand <an...@wederbrand.se>.

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.