Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Patrick Rutkowski <ru...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/14 20:12:25 UTC

2.8.0 vs 3.1.1

On the Xerces-C main page:
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/

I notice that on the left there's a section for 2.8.0 as well as 3.1.1.

Why is the 2.8.0 section kept around when 3.1.1 seems to be the latest release?

Is 3.1.1 a beata or something?

A total Xerces newbie,
-Patrick

RE: 2.8.0 vs 3.1.1

Posted by Jesse Pelton <js...@PKC.com>.
3.1.1 is a real release.

There's a lot of software out there (including open source software)
built with the 2.x series.  The API changed in non-trivial ways with the
release of 3.0 (hence the bump in the major version), so a) it makes
sense for some projects to stick with the 2.x series for the moment, and
b) it's helpful to keep information about the 2.x series (including API
documentation) available.

New development, however, should use the latest release (assuming there
aren't any constraints that dictate use of an earlier version).

I think you'll find that the Xerces-C developers are a pretty
conservative bunch, which is A Good Thing.  It means Xerces-C is a
stable XML platform for others to build on.