Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Velevitch <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/30 01:47:11 UTC

How to cut and graft?

In a project, we originally created a branch because we need to create
a system which was basically a variation of the original project and
share the common unchanged code with the trunk.

Since then, the trunk has now gone into end of life and so I want cut
the trunk off at the branch point and cut and graft the branch into
the trunk without losing any of the version history that has occurred
after the branch and keep it's linage intact.

How do I do that?

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Adobe Platform Users Group, Sydney

Adobe Platform Users Group, Sydney
July 2010: Developing applications on Brightcove's Online Video platform
Date: 26h July 6pm for 6:30 start
Details and RSVP at
http://apugs.groups.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=post.display&postid=28912.

Re: How to cut and graft?

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>Ryan Schmidt wrote on Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 20:50:16 -0500:
>> svn rm $URL/trunk -m "Delete old trunk"
>>
>> svn mv $URL/branches/thebranch $URL/trunk -m "Make branch thebranch the new trunk"
>
>And to do this rm+mv in one commit, you could use svnmucc.

an perhaps not svn rm the old trunk but svn mv it, so you have easier
access to it (no need to remember/investigate the revision where it
was deleted)
--

Lorenz

Re: How to cut and graft?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: How to cut and graft?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 29, 2010, at 20:47, Chris Velevitch wrote:

> In a project, we originally created a branch because we need to create
> a system which was basically a variation of the original project and
> share the common unchanged code with the trunk.
>
> Since then, the trunk has now gone into end of life and so I want cut
> the trunk off at the branch point and cut and graft the branch into
> the trunk without losing any of the version history that has occurred
> after the branch and keep it's linage intact.
>
> How do I do that?

I'm not familiar with your "cut" and "graft" terminology, but I think what you're asking is accomplished by doing:

svn rm $URL/trunk -m "Delete old trunk"

svn mv $URL/branches/thebranch $URL/trunk -m "Make branch thebranch the new trunk"

The history of branch thebranch is of course preserved.