Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com> on 2014/02/03 20:25:14 UTC

Run In memory event bus by default

I see that in memory event bus got checked in recently. I understand that its a plugin, but can we not start it by default ?
It would help different components (for example - monitoring system, usage etc.) within CS to subscribe to events and take some useful action based on them if they could assume that some event bus were running by default.

Thanks,
-Nitin

Re: Run In memory event bus by default

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
On 05/02/14 6:14 AM, "Prachi Damle" <Pr...@citrix.com> wrote:

>Murali,
>
>Also we already have a MessageBus being used at couple of places to
>publish messages to other components about certain scenario.
>e.g: When reserved capacity for a VM that is stopped for time greater
>than configured threshold is freed up, CapacityManager publishes a
>message that is being subscribed to by the DeploymentPlanningManager.
>
>How do we differentiate between the MessageBus Vs EventBus usecases, when
>should we use one Vs the other?

Both are designed with different goals. Please see thread [1]. MessageBus
acts as generic transport abstraction to build IPC between the components.
Event bus has specific use case of enabling CloudStack components or
external system to publish-subscribe CloudStack events.

I guess which one to use depends on the use case. If some functionality
can be achieved just by consuming action/usage/sate change/alert events
generated then event bus should be good enough.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/cebk4cyvbdufyrkr

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
On 05/02/14 3:04 AM, "Nitin Mehta" <Ni...@citrix.com> wrote:

>Please find my answers inline.
>
>On 04/02/14 11:04 AM, "Chiradeep Vittal" <Ch...@citrix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Do you mean, "can we start it by default"?
>
>Yes.

We can enable it by default, we just have to add spring config file. There
are no CloudStack components that will need this now, so I did not make it
default. If there is a need we can enable it.

>>Does it work for clustered management servers?

No it does not work for clustered management servers, so both publisher
and subscriber of the events need to be running in same management server.
But the current RabbitMQ based event bus plug-in can be used for clustered
management server setup.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.