Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com> on 2016/12/14 01:13:49 UTC

Is it a bad idea to use periods within a consumer group name? "my-service.topic1_consumer_group"

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it's a bad idea to use periods
within Kafka consumer group names because it can potentially conflict with
metric names.

I've searched, and not finding anything, so am I just mis-remembering?

It is operationally convenient because zookeeper CLI allows tab completion
within periods.

Re: Is it a bad idea to use periods within a consumer group name? "my-service.topic1_consumer_group"

Posted by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com>.
Thanks Praveen.

I realized I'd been mis-remembering the warning that I'd been seeing. The
limitation is for topic names, not consumer group names:

*WARNING: Due to limitations in metric names, topics with a period ('.') or
underscore ('_') could collide. To avoid issues it is best to use either,
but not both.*

Posted by Praveen <pr...@gmail.com>.