Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Boyce-Lewis <ab...@conduit-it.com> on 2004/05/25 23:23:44 UTC

question about include directives

I am wondering why the include directive does not allow wildcard
constructions in the directory path. For example, 'include
/etc/httpd/*/*.conf' will not work and will produce the error "wildcard
patterns not allowed in Include"

However 'include /etc/httpd/dir/*.conf' works as expected.

I tested all of this with apache 1.3.31.

This seems like an unnecessary limitation.

Any insight?

 -Andrew
--
Andrew E. Boyce-Lewis
Conduit-IT

Re: question about include directives

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Andrew Boyce-Lewis <ab...@conduit-it.com> wrote:

> I am wondering why the include directive does not allow wildcard
> constructions in the directory path. For example, 'include
> /etc/httpd/*/*.conf' will not work and will produce the error "wildcard
> patterns not allowed in Include"
>
> However 'include /etc/httpd/dir/*.conf' works as expected.
>
> I tested all of this with apache 1.3.31.
>
> This seems like an unnecessary limitation.

It's *way* more effort to resolve arbitrary path wildcards as well and
there's much recursion involved. So it's not really unnecessary, but just
lazy.

Patches welcome :-)

nd