Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2007/06/01 00:35:30 UTC

Re: Hadoop on Mac OSX

On May 30, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Peter W. wrote:

> There are some steps needed to get Hadoop working on
> Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.x as single node, here they are:

On my powerbook (with OS X 10.4.9), I find it much better to use:

export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home

> instead, (as a kludge) use sudo or root to copy jar files to
> /Library/Java Extensions:

that's strange, I've never had to move files into the system
directories.

> in /opt/hadoop-0.12.3/bin/hadoop make these changes:
>
> JAVA=$JAVA_HOME/java
> #JAVA=$JAVA_HOME/bin/java

with a better JAVA_HOME, this shouldn't be necessary and I also don't
need to set JAVA_PLATFORM.

For a single node system, you also want to set in hadoop-site.xml:

<property>
   <name>dfs.safemode.extension</name>
   <value>0</value>
</property>

to keep the namenode from waiting 30 seconds for the "rest" of the
datanodes to  report in before it leaves safemode.

Re: Hadoop on Mac OSX

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
have you guys trying to build the 'c/native' component of hadoop on OS/X ?

Re: Hadoop on Mac OSX

Posted by "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>.
JAVA_HOME will also benefit my Lucene 2.1.0, Solr and Nutch 0.8.1
installations.

Re: Hadoop on Mac OSX

Posted by "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>.
Owen,

Thank you for the corrections and single node
properties suggestion for hadoop-site.xml.

Since I'm also running Apache Tomcat, Web server and
James mail server the JAVA_HOME improvement will
provide benefits across the board.

I still need to set JAVA_PLATFORM on a dual, 2GHZ PowerPC
with 2GB DDR2 sdram but will try to resolve and give an update.

My primary Hadoop cluster will on be Intel based mac minis and
once that's working I will put up a 'howto' on the wiki including
firewall configuration.

Thanks again,

Peter W.