Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/03 08:31:43 UTC

[2.0-M1] Java SCA 2.0-M1 Stable Distributions

We have made good progress, and we should be really near getting a
good Java SCA 2.0-M1 RC ready for voting.

In the mean time, I have created some stable distributions [1] so
people can start looking and making sure we are all comfortable with
the direction we are taking with the distributions, it's structure,
etc.

I'll start reviewing the open JIRAS to see what is a must for this
release, and start moving things to the 2.0 queue.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~lresende/tuscany/20-M1-Stable/

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: [2.0-M1] Java SCA 2.0-M1 Stable Distributions

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We have made good progress, and we should be really near getting a
>>> good Java SCA 2.0-M1 RC ready for voting.
>>>
>>> In the mean time, I have created some stable distributions [1] so
>>> people can start looking and making sure we are all comfortable with
>>> the direction we are taking with the distributions, it's structure,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> I'll start reviewing the open JIRAS to see what is a must for this
>>> release, and start moving things to the 2.0 queue.
>>>
>>> [1] http://people.apache.org/~lresende/tuscany/20-M1-Stable/<http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende/tuscany/20-M1-Stable/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Luciano Resende
>>> Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk
>>> http://people.apache.org/~lresende<http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende>
>>> http://lresende.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> One thing i noticed in the src distro is that lots of things seem to be
>> included three times in the archive, i think we've had that in the past
>> caused by something like overlapping includes in the src assembly xml. I've
>> tried building the binary all distro today and it goes into a loop saying:
>>
>> at
>> org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.AbstractArchiver$1.hasNext(AbstractArchiver.java:406)
>>
>> and then just ends with no message.
>>
>> Looking at the 2.0-M1 JIRAs there are two I think we should try really
>> hard to fix for M1 - TUSCANY-2800 and TUSCANY-2805.
>>
>>    ...ant
>>

> Some more issues with the src distro are that its missing lots of pom.xml
> files so doesn't build, and its also missing lots of folders like
> distribution, itests, etc.
>
> Thinking about what the src distribution should be like all we really want
> is a complete archive of the SVN tree with any generated files excluded and
> the correct legal and release info files put in the top level folder. If we
> do that we no longer have _any_ of the issues with making sure the src
> distro builds and is in line with the bin distro etc. We could also have
> things like the LICENSE/NOTICE/BUILDING files in the SVN root folder so you
> get them with an SVN checkout as well as the src distro. What do other
> think? Seems so much simpler to me and we have to fix the current one anyway
> so I'll start doing this now.
>
>    ...ant

Big +1 from me if we can avoid having to mess about with configuration to
exclude temporary files and hence remove the subsequent checking we had to
do to ensure that we had the configuration correct.

Re, " complete archive of the SVN tree " I assume you mean the java/sca bit.
Also that we ned to organize that so that it only contains the modules that
we feel are ready for release. That's OK by me b.t.w as it mean we also
don't have to go through the process when we branch of picking out the
modules that should stay. In the future we have to decide what to do with
modules that are in development but not ready for release. But I'm happy to
defer that for M1.

Simon

Re: [2.0-M1] Java SCA 2.0-M1 Stable Distributions

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

I'm up for a bit of sample build fixing as, with the latest build changes,
>> the binding-ws-calculator ant build has stopped working. Not only should we
>> fix the sample builds but instigate a module (or other device) to test the
>> samples from the distribution structure in as close a way as we can get to
>> how the user will run them.
>>

> Binidng-ws-calculator is working for me just now.

Rereading what you said properly, yes the Ant build script for
binding-ws-calculator is broken for me too.

   ...ant

Re: [2.0-M1] Java SCA 2.0-M1 Stable Distributions

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We have made good progress, and we should be really near getting a
>>> good Java SCA 2.0-M1 RC ready for voting.
>>>
>>> In the mean time, I have created some stable distributions [1] so
>>> people can start looking and making sure we are all comfortable with
>>> the direction we are taking with the distributions, it's structure,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> I'll start reviewing the open JIRAS to see what is a must for this
>>> release, and start moving things to the 2.0 queue.
>>>
>>> [1] http://people.apache.org/~lresende/tuscany/20-M1-Stable/<http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende/tuscany/20-M1-Stable/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Luciano Resende
>>> Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk
>>> http://people.apache.org/~lresende<http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende>
>>> http://lresende.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> One thing i noticed in the src distro is that lots of things seem to be
>> included three times in the archive, i think we've had that in the past
>> caused by something like overlapping includes in the src assembly xml. I've
>> tried building the binary all distro today and it goes into a loop saying:
>>
>> at
>> org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.AbstractArchiver$1.hasNext(AbstractArchiver.java:406)
>>
>> and then just ends with no message.
>>
>> Looking at the 2.0-M1 JIRAs there are two I think we should try really
>> hard to fix for M1 - TUSCANY-2800 and TUSCANY-2805.
>>
>>    ...ant
>>

> I'm up for a bit of sample build fixing as, with the latest build changes,
> the binding-ws-calculator ant build has stopped working. Not only should we
> fix the sample builds but instigate a module (or other device) to test the
> samples from the distribution structure in as close a way as we can get to
> how the user will run them.
>
> My initial thought, a week back, was to include testing in each sample pom
> that relies on the "dir" version of the distro that we create in the main
> maven build. The sample pom can then go run the ant build and run the
> sample. I like this approach as it's sample specific. Someone (Ant?) said
> that they wanted this to be in a separate test which I'm not opposed too if
> we think sample testing makes the sample poms too complicated.
>
> I'm going to make a new module (itest-samples?) to try separating this
> testing from the samples themselves.Basically going through the loop.
>
> for each sample
>   run ant compile
>   run the sample
>
> Simon

That itest sounds good to me. Binidng-ws-calculator is working for me just
now. I've also been seeing intermittent fails in calculator-equinox, has
anyone else see that?

I've also just raised TUSCANY-2806 about the order things are getting built
in which i think is one of the reasons we're seeing so many build issues.

   ...ant

Re: [2.0-M1] Java SCA 2.0-M1 Stable Distributions

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.