Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/20 12:13:22 UTC

[Vote] Charith Dhanushka Wickramarachchi as a commiter

hi,

Charith is currently active  in SMS transport module for ws commons
transport and he has done a lot of
contributions for both Axis2 and ws commons project in addition to
that[1][2][3].

So I would like to propose him as a commiter.
Here is my +1.

thanks,
Amila.

[1]http://marc.info/?a=122535560100003&r=1&w=2
[2]http://marc.info/?a=123477939100005&r=1&w=2
[3]http://marc.info/?a=123043909900005&r=1&w=2

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Charith Dhanushka Wickramarachchi as a commiter

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
0 from me, too. Since there's no recent release of the transport code to
even try out it's difficult to judge the quality of his work.

  - Dennis

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Andreas Veithen
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 0. Since I don't know Charith personally, I can only base my decision
> on the contributions and discussions on the public mailing lists. The
> contributions other than the SMS transport don't give a clear enough
> picture to evaluate if he is ready to commit code without prior
> review. With regard to the SMS transport, what I notice is that there
> have been almost no discussions,

which either means that no review has
> been done or that these discussions have happened in private. In both
> cases there is no basis for me to give an objective opinion. Finally,
> the fact that the normal voting period is 3 days doesn't give me the
> opportunity to do a review myself.

I think this work as started some time ago and you have enough time to put
any feedback.

Anyway. Please have a look at that code and raise any issues you have. This
will help him to get evaluated his work from another person as well.

What my point is we need to help people to get in. Rather than just
neglecting their work.

I think there is no hard rule to finish a discussion within 3 days. So Lets
wait to resolve any
issues regarding his work and continue with this.

thanks,
Amila.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
As a matter of process, I think that Andreas' concerns add up to a
reason, under Apache process, for a -1. However, since I am even less
anxious to start an argument than he is, I am holding back back on
voting while waiting to see if the sponsor agrees that it might be
better to wait for more evidence of readiness.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
s/axis-dev/ws

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
s/axis-dev/ws

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Thanks,
Senaka

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Charith

thanks,
Nandana

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
> I'm a Axis2 user, I'm wonder with this mail and  getting doubt about quality
> of the project ? AFAIK Apache always keep good quality with high performance
> with their projects but I'm not sure Axis2 try to keep that policy or try to
> loose it ?

Well Apache is always community over code. So what matters most is the
community not the code. (But I did not mean bad code)
> BTW fortunately there are some other WS projects to move , like CXF with the
> Apcahe brand also that maintained by good professionals :)

wow, good to hear that. ;-) .

Deepal

> Amila Suriarachchi wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> Charith is currently active  in SMS transport module for ws commons
>> transport and he has done a lot of
>> contributions for both Axis2 and ws commons project in addition to
>> that[1][2][3].
>>
>> So I would like to propose him as a commiter.
>> Here is my +1.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Amila.
>>

>> [1]http://marc.info/?a=122535560100003&r=1&w=2
>> [2]http://marc.info/?a=123477939100005&r=1&w=2
>> [3]http://marc.info/?a=123043909900005&r=1&w=2
>>
>> --
>> Amila Suriarachchi
>> WSO2 Inc.
>> blog: http://amilachinthaka.blogspot.com/

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org
http://deepal.org

Re: [Vote] Charith Dhanushka Wickramarachchi as a commiter

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:11 AM, nickar <ni...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm a Axis2 user, I'm wonder with this mail and  getting doubt about
> quality
> of the project ? AFAIK Apache always keep good quality with high
> performance
> with their projects but I'm not sure Axis2 try to keep that policy or try
> loose it ?
>
> It seems like Axis2 becoming a project maintaining by set of people elected
> based on some other criteria instead of the Apache way.If a student can be
> commiter by providing patches for one issue plus very few number of mailing
> list hits like this  what it will implies to us ?

I think it doesn't matter who the person is. (a university student, software
engineer). What matters his
contribution and allow him to continue with his work.

thanks,
Amila.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Charith.
If the contributions are large, it doesn't matter if it is a single
contribution or lot of contributions.

Thanks,
Supun..

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc
http://wso2.org

Re: [Vote] Charith Dhanushka Wickramarachchi as a commiter

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Milinda Pathirage <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Charith.

Thanks,
Milinda

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, it sounds as if you have ulterior motives & are trying to
> promote some other project on Axis dev and create unnecessary rivalry.
> Sorry for being so blunt. Your opinion about the quality of the
> developers is just your opinion. Just because somebody is a student,
> it does not make that person any less qualified than any other
> professional. Most of the most brilliant open source developers have
> been students when they started their contributions.
>
> Azeez
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM, nickar<ni...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a Axis2 user, I'm wonder with this mail and  getting doubt about
> quality
> > of the project ? AFAIK Apache always keep good quality with high
> performance
> > with their projects but I'm not sure Axis2 try to keep that policy or try
> > loose it ?
> >
> > It seems like Axis2 becoming a project maintaining by set of people
> elected
> > based on some other criteria instead of the Apache way.If a student can
> be a
> > commiter by providing patches for one issue plus very few number of
> mailing
> > list hits like this  what it will implies to us ?
> >
> > BTW fortunately there are some other WS projects to move , like CXF with
> the
> > Apcahe brand also that maintained by good professionals :)
> >

> > Amila Suriarachchi wrote:
> >>
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> Charith is currently active  in SMS transport module for ws commons
> >> transport and he has done a lot of
> >> contributions for both Axis2 and ws commons project in addition to
> >> that[1][2][3].
> >>
> >> So I would like to propose him as a commiter.
> >> Here is my +1.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Amila.
> >>

> >> [1]http://marc.info/?a=122535560100003&r=1&w=2
> >> [2]http://marc.info/?a=123477939100005&r=1&w=2
> >> [3]http://marc.info/?a=123043909900005&r=1&w=2
> >>
> >> --
> >> Amila Suriarachchi
> >> WSO2 Inc.
> >> blog: http://amilachinthaka.blogspot.com/
> >>

> > --

> Thanks
> Afkham Azeez
>
> Blog: http://afkham.org
> Developer Portal: http://www.wso2.org
> WSAS Blog: http://wso2wsas.blogspot.com
> Company: http://wso2.com
> GPG Fingerprint: 643F C2AF EB78 F886 40C9  B2A2 4AE2 C887 665E 0760

--
Milinda Pathirage
Senior Software Engineer & Project Lead; WSO2 BPS; http://wso2.org/bps

Re: [Vote] Charith Dhanushka Wickramarachchi as a commiter

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nickar <ni...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Charith

thanks,
Nandana

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Andreas Veithen
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Amila,
>
> Can you point me to a couple of contributions that made it into Axis2
> or WS-Commons and that show Charith's readiness to become a committer?

hi Andreas,

As I mentioned he is doing the SMS transport for ws commons[1]. Since he is
doing a module from the
begining he has done enough work here and this will help him to continue
with that.

For other contributions please see the links I have given in my first mail.

thanks,
Amila.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSCOMMONS-470

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.