Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/06 10:54:09 UTC

[contributions][awt] Font library

Dear all,

I am glad to announce a new contribution to Harmony classlib on behalf
of Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the
following location:

The package contains a library for retrieving font properties and text
drawing. The library supports TrueType and Type1 fonts.

This library will give the following benefits for Harmony:
1. possibility to draw a text in headless mode
2. retrieve all the font metrics required by the JavaSE 5 spec
(current implementation can not do this)
3. all the metrics and glyph images will be the same for all supported
platforms (current implementation works with the system dependent
libraries

The package also contains ant build script and demo application.

All the opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

SY, Alexey

Re: [contributions][awt] Font library

Posted by Dmitriy Matveev <ma...@gmail.com>.
If we want to draw a text in headless mode with font library, we need a
folder jre/lib/fonts, a set of base fonts in that folder and a .properties
file for this fonts.
This set of fonts should have a same garniture for all included fonts and
dissimilar styles (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic).

Now fontlib can not works without X-server because the information about
location of the fonts is still a question. Fontlib has now the default font
that used when we cann't take a needed font (Courier for now), but it also
may be absent on any OS (WinXP for example).

Thx,
Dmitriy

Re: [contributions][awt] Font library

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Cool -- thanks Alexey & the team at Intel.