Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2021/06/22 08:29:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Last week I spent some time looking into making flink-runtime scala
free, which effectively means to move the Akka-reliant classes to
another module, and load that module along with Akka and all of it's
dependencies (including Scala) through a separate classloader.

This would finally decouple the Scala versions required by the runtime
and API, and would allow us to upgrade Akka as we'd no longer be limited
to Scala 2.11. It would rid the classpath of a few dependencies, and
remove the need for scala suffixes on quite a few modules.

However, our Mesos support has unfortunately a hard dependency on Akka,
which naturally does not play well with the goal of isolating Akka in
it's own ClassLoader.

To solve this issue I was thinking of simple dropping flink-mesos in
1.14 (it was deprecated in 1.13).

Truth be told, I picked this option because it is the easiest to do. We
_could_ probably make things work somehow (likely by shipping a second
Akka version just for flink-mesos), but it doesn't seem worth the hassle
and would void some of the benefits. So far we kept flink-mesos around,
despite not really developing it further, because it didn't hurt to have
it in still in Flink, but this has now changed.

Please tell me what you think.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 on dropping Mesos support to clear dependencies in the flink-runtime
module:

- I tend to think as Seth and Israel and see a bit of a decline of the
use of Mesos: as an example of that, AFAICT, Amazon EMR and Amazon EKS
provide Yarn and Kubernates support but no Mesos. I did not know about
most of the Mesos PMC leaving that Fabian mentioned but it is once again
a sign IMHO.

- the survey among users seems to have concluded that the removal is
possible.

Best,

Etienne

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Fabian Paul <fa...@data-artisans.com>.
+ 1 for dropping mesos. Most of the PMCs have already left the project [1] and a move to attic
was barely avoided. Overall kubernetes has taken its place and it is unlikely that we will see a
surge in Mesos very soon.

Best,
Fabian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rab2a820507f7c846e54a847398ab20f47698ec5bce0c8e182bfe51ba%40%3Cdev.mesos.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dropping mesos support.

AFAIK, mesos(including marathon for the container management) is phasing
out gradually and has been replaced with Kubernetes in the containerized
world.

Best,
Yang

Matthias Pohl <ma...@ververica.com> 于2021年6月23日周三 下午2:04写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@ververica.com>.
+1 for dropping Mesos support. There was no feedback opposing the direction
from the community in the most-recent discussion [1,2] on deprecating it.

Matthias

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/SURVEY-Remove-Mesos-support-td45974.html
[2]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/VOTE-Deprecating-Mesos-support-td50142.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Yangze Guo <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dropping.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Mesos in 1.14

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
I'm adding Oleksandr from Criteo to this thread, they've mentioned in the
past that they are using Flink on Mesos (IIRC the only company that seemed
to be doing so)

I'm personally fine with dropping Mesos support.