Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Jamey Wood <Ja...@sun.com> on 2008/08/08 19:06:15 UTC

Announcing Project SocialSite

Hi all,

Project SocialSite is an open source Social Network Service written in
Java.  Specifically, it provides Gadgets and Web Services that can be
used to add social networking functionality to an existing web site.
And, of course, it leverages Shindig for OpenSocial support.  With the
latter, we hope that SocialSite can contribute to the Shindig community
as a sort of Java equivalent to what Partuza already does for PHP:
providing a useful example of integrating Shindig with a complete social
graph back-end.

Source code for all of this is available today (though we're not yet
ready to make a formal release).  In fact, the code is a bit rough and
critical features, such as security, are not yet complete.  So we hope
you won't use it to run any nuclear reactor control rooms at this point.
But we hope you will try it out and give us your feedback... or patches! :)

Here's a quick guide to the Project SocialSite resources that are ready
today:

  Project SocialSite homepage on Java.net, with mailing lists and more:
  https://socialsite.dev.java.net/

  Project SocialSite source code in Subversion:
  https://socialsite.dev.java.net/source/browse/socialsite/

  Installation and build instructions:
  https://socialsite.dev.java.net/files/documents/8682/106449/INSTALL.txt

  Screencast that illustrates the project concept:
  https://socialsite.dev.java.net/screencasts/mediawiki_demo.html

  Our downloads page where you can find the latest build:
  https://socialsite.dev.java.net/downloads.html

  Our project blog where we'll be posting news and announcements:
  http://blogs.sun.com/socialsite/

Thanks,
Jamey