Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Benoit Panizzon <be...@imp.ch> on 2005/08/12 17:07:51 UTC

IPv6 broken by my_inet_aton?

Hi all

I started pocking at spamassassin 3.1.0 to see how far I get with IPv6
blacklist support.

From my point of view, all needed functions can be found in Net::IP and
Net::DNS and are allready IPv6 proof. So as far as I've seen, apart from a
few Received: header parsing issues and a few 'how to build the correct
hostname to look up from an IPv6 address' issues, everything would work fine
except to where I hit:

sub my_inet_aton { unpack("N", pack("C4", split(/\./, $_[0]))) }

What is that done for? Why would somebody want to pack an IPv4 address into a
binary notation as Net::DNS and Net::IP don't need this packing stuff? This
breaks the whole IPv6 support.

Regards
--
BenoƮt Panizzon, <bp...@imp.ch>
ImproWare AG, UNIXSP & ISP                   Phone:   +41 61 826 93 00

Re: IPv6 broken by my_inet_aton?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 05:07:51PM +0200, Benoit Panizzon wrote:
> sub my_inet_aton { unpack("N", pack("C4", split(/\./, $_[0]))) }
>
> What is that done for? Why would somebody want to pack an IPv4 address into a
> binary notation as Net::DNS and Net::IP don't need this packing stuff?

Probably because we need it packed for other things.

Grepping for "my_inet_aton" in the code leads me to the NetSet module:

# Mail::SpamAssassin::NetSet - object to manipulate CIDR net IP addrs

Also, the URIDNSBL plugin and Dns module seem to use it when they're
matching results.

> This breaks the whole IPv6 support.

I don't think SA currently supports IPv6 for RBLs, so it's not actually
breaking anything.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"... until this thing blows up, or yells 'stop', or says Uncle or