Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/06/30 19:24:45 UTC

need docs...

I've been reading gump code. Three comments so far:

  * boy is there a lot!
  * boy is it Object-oriented and damn flexible!
  * boy is there a lack of documentation!

we don't have docs on the fundamental abstractions (ie model, actor,
"runnable", event), do we? Some of my assumptions (about MVC for
example) don't quite fit, and its hard to lay a finger on.

Next week I'm going to see if its possible to set up a debug-enabled
gump on brutus and see if I can get the wing ide up and connected to it.
When it works I'll let you guys know ;)

- LSD

Re: need docs...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Leo wrote:

> I've been reading gump code.

Awesome.

> Three comments so far:
>
>   * boy is there a lot!

Yeah, but then you've seen my mails right? I have various forms of dihorrea.
;-)

I know I write "fluffy" code, I just can't seem to achieve that excellence
that allows tight & terse. I'm working on it.

>   * boy is it Object-oriented and damn flexible!

I try to re-use where I can, I try to be flexible where I think we need it.
Feedback always welcome, pride long gone die to Python woes. ;-)

Hey, can you uses the CleanUp branch? It is getting close to working, and is
quite different from CVS HEAD. I feel I've made it a bit easier to grok.

>   * boy is there a lack of documentation!

 :(

No excuse. I'll try harder now I know I'm not talking into a vacuum. That
pydoc sure gives me incentive, thanks. :)

> we don't have docs on the fundamental abstractions (ie model, actor,
> "runnable", event), do we? Some of my assumptions (about MVC for
> example) don't quite fit, and its hard to lay a finger on.

Ah, you are in CleanUp, right?

Please don't be shy, ask away here. I am not the worlds best code (let alone
Python coder) and I'm sure not a great OO guy. If it doesn't look right,
chances are it isn't.

Principally, I've tried to separate the main model objects from their XML,
but I've not separate the "run context" (annotations, state, exec output)
from the model. I've spent so much time (w/o a refactor, doing it by hand)
that I've not made that leap, like I'd like. I know it needs to be done.

> Next week I'm going to see if its possible to set up a debug-enabled
> gump on brutus and see if I can get the wing ide up and connected to it.
> When it works I'll let you guys know ;)

Sweet.

regards

Adam

Re: need docs...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Next week I'm going to see if its possible to set up a debug-enabled
> gump on brutus and see if I can get the wing ide up and connected to it.
> When it works I'll let you guys know ;)

BTW: It is the full Gumps (600 projects) that tend to 'clog up', I've found
the smaller ones (e.g. minimal-workspace) run quite nicely. You might wish
to start there. I think I installed a 'test' gump flavour to do that
(although it is CVS HEAD) and you are welcome to take that over.

regards

Adam