Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/16 12:40:55 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] next release version? 0.6 or 1.0?

Dear DS team!

Two months ago the team discussed a 0.6 release. What is your plan? There are many new great features since 0.5, so what is stopping the DS-team to provide a new release?

Looking through the JIRA there are 30 open issues, many of them regards JSF and Tests. I don’t use JSF anymore, so it hurts to be held back by stack-releases.

6 out of 30 are Improvements.
7 are New Features.
1 is a Wish of porting Seam Mail. Cody has discontinued development of Seam Mail, so this issue could probably be Resolved/Won’t fix.

If you constrain the release window to only bug fixing it looks like 14 issues should be moved to 0.7.
16 issues are real issues that needs to be decided upon.

Would it make sense to elect on some big tickets to get 0.6 out?

15 months ago DS was proposed to be incubated. IMHO, if DS is going to be a success, regular releases is a key factor.

It’s been five months since last 0.5 release.

regards,
ove

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 0.6 and 1.0 as the next release after 0.6

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
IMHO ViewAccessScoped is a showstopper for the JSF users. Many people used
CODI just because of it!

But to be honest, if i will do it, it takes propably 2-4 weeks. I have
currently only time at weekend... and i'm note sure if i know all details
of the implementation ;)

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Dunno for the one week delay for 0.6 and 3 weeks delay for 1.0, but +1 to
go with an intermediate step (ie. 0.6).

JLouis

Jean-Louis

Re: [DISCUSS] next release version? 0.6 or 1.0?

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 Mark

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this :)

Posted by Cody Lerum <co...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Christian Kaltepoth <ch...@kaltepoth.de>.
+1 for pushing out 0.6 ASAP and 1.0 as soon as all the "must have" features
are complete.

Christian Kaltepoth
Blog: http://blog.kaltepoth.de/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/chkal
GitHub: https://github.com/chkal

Re: [DISCUSS] next release version? 0.6 or 1.0?

Posted by Nicklas Karlsson <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this

Documentation and examples are never complete but with that in mind one
should not stop improving them "because they are never complete anyway" ;-)

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [DISCUSS] next release version? 0.6 or 1.0?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
back 2 the topic, please!

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.
That’s reasonable enough.

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antoine, it's good to hear that more red hat committers are on its way :)

Posted by Antoine Sabot-Durand <an...@sabot-durand.net>.

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi ove,

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 Ove

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gerhard,

Was your point the commit graph or the professional support?

I would recognize Apache Software to be an Open Source Foundation. My intent was not identify myself as a customer to shop commercial product support, on something not completed, but to urge the importance of getting sources, compiled binaries (read: i can do that myself), out the door. Not, the professional part of it.

I used to be one of the JBoss-ers evangelists (external) and wishes to see the joint efforts agreed on 2+ years ago to become the success on top of CDI, that DS really deserves to become.

Cheers,
Ove

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi ove,

Posted by Ove Ranheim <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
When do you like to release, Mark?
I would like to finish ViewAccessScoped before 1.0 - and we should
completely finish the documentation!!!
So it will take some more weeks...

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
imo v0.6 is way overdue.