Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Gregory <ma...@skyleach.com> on 2002/06/11 17:39:41 UTC

Handlers for HttpClient?

Have handler classes been created to wrap the Commons project HttpClient?

In other words, can I pass the
"-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.commons.httpclient" directive to my
JVM and expect to get an org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection back
from a java.net.URL.openConnection() call?

Please let me know, and if not then I will work to extend the package now.
I must have this functionality ASAP because my package, PortletStreams is in
production but needs cookie handling and HTTP authentication.

Thanks in advance...
    -Matt

RE: [HttpClient] REPOST: Handlers for HttpClient?

Posted by Gunnlaugur Thor Briem <gt...@dimon.is>.
> That would probably mean that we would need to create implementations
> for java.net.URL, java.net.HttpURLConnection and maybe also for
> java.net.URLConnection. URL is a final class, so I don't know how it
> would be possible to get it to return something different with
> URL.openConnection().
>
> Do you think it would be possible?

To control what URL returns from url.openConnection, you can
either install a URLStreamHandlerFactory using the method
URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory(URLStreamHandlerFactory fac),
see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/net/URL.html,
or (less drastically) control the behavior of the default
URLStreamHandlerFactory implementation: define your handlers
with a particular naming convention and list their packages
in the system property java.protocol.handler.pkgs. See this:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/protocolhandlers/
for enough details to work with.

Both approaches unfortunately require tweaking the global
configuration of the JVM, which may be annoying to those
working in servlet/J2EE environments, but that's a problem
you're always stuck with when using the URLConnection
scheme -- it can only be configured globally in the JVM.

Hope that helps,

	- Gulli

Posted by Evert Hoff <ev...@pixie.co.za>.
Hi Matt,

Re: REPOST: Handlers for HttpClient?

Posted by Evert Hoff <ev...@pixie.co.za>.
Hi Matt,

The LGPL license is more restrictive than the Apache license. Thus, any
changes made to the Innovation HTTPClient must be distributed as LGPL.
The other way around would be easier - contributing code from the
Jakarta HttpClient to the Innovation HTTPClient project.

I had a quick look at the Innovation HTTPClient. There are some things
it doesn't have:
- HTTPS support
- Connection pooling (like the HttpConnectionManager used in
HttpMultiClient)

I suspect that it might be acceptable for your application to use more
than the usual two connections to retrieve data from the content
servers, so the connection pooling should be important. Sometimes these
content servers will be on the local network and then it will definitely
be acceptable. I suspect that pipelining will also give you great
performance improvements.

So, I agree. The best would be for you to create wrappers for the
Jakarta HttpClient. Enjoy!

Evert

Posted by Gunnlaugur Thor Briem <gt...@dimon.is>.

Posted by SkyLeach <sk...@skyleach.com>.