Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thomas Svensen <Th...@fast.no> on 2006/02/21 13:29:13 UTC

LogFileReceiver and archived logs

I am using the LogFileReceiver with Chainsaw and it's working really
well. With the latest Chainsaw build, I see that it's tailing even when
I filter for a term, which is a really useful improvement in my opinon!
Great work!

Now for some feature requests (or undocumented features?):

Can the LogFileReceiver handle multiple input files? Our application
archives log files on a regular basis by gzipping them. It would be very
useful to input a file spec with wildcards and have the LogFileReceiver
"automagically" open all files matching the and "gunzipping" the ones
that have extension .gz.

I assume this would be useful to many other users, too?

Also, Chainsaw has a heavy footprint memory and CPU-wise. Is this
unavoidable with Swing-clients, or could it be tuned? On my WinXP with
2GB memory, Alt-Tab'ing to Chainsaw requires a 3-5 second wait before
the GUI is redrawn...

Thomas Svensen

Senior Solutions Engineer

Fast Search & Transfer