Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2021/12/13 19:28:10 UTC

[VOTE] Release 1.11.5/1.12.6/1.13.4/1.14.1, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,

This vote is for the emergency patch releases for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13 and
1.14 to address CVE-2021-44228.
It covers all 4 releases as they contain the same changes (upgrading
Log4j to 2.15.0) and were prepared simultaneously by the same person.
(Hence, if something is broken, it likely applies to all releases)

Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the versions
1.11.5, 1.12.6, 1.13.4 and 1.14.1, as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the releases
[ ] -1, Do not approve the releases (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source releases and binary convenience releases to
be deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which are signed with the key with
fingerprint C2EED7B111D464BA [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
     * *the jars for 1.13/1.14 are still being built*
* source code tags [5],
* website pull request listing the new releases and adding announcement
blog post [6].

The vote will be open for at least 24 hours. The minimum vote time has
been shortened as the changes are minimal and the matter is urgent.
It is adopted by majority approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Thanks,
Chesnay

[1]
1.11:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12350327
1.12:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12350328
1.13:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12350686
1.14:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12350512
[2]
1.11: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.11.5-rc1/
1.12: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.12.6-rc1/
1.13: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.13.4-rc1/
1.14: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.14.1-rc1/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[4]
1.11/1.12:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1455
1.13: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1457
1.14: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1456
[5]
1.11: https://github.com/apache/flink/releases/tag/release-1.11.5-rc1
1.12: https://github.com/apache/flink/releases/tag/release-1.12.6-rc1
1.13: https://github.com/apache/flink/releases/tag/release-1.13.4-rc1
1.14: https://github.com/apache/flink/releases/tag/release-1.14.1-rc1
[6] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/489

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.11.5/1.12.6/1.13.4/1.14.1, release candidate #1

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

- verified hashes and signatures
- checked that diff of all RCs contain only the log4j version upgrade

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
Update: All jars are now available.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <ew...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

 - Verified that commit history is identical to previous release (except
dependency upgrade and release version commit)
 - Verified that the source releases reference updated dependency and
binary releases contain updated dependency
 - Blog post looks good
 - ran bundled examples against 1.14.1 binary release, worked as expected.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.

Re: [CANCELLED] Release 1.11.5/1.12.6/1.13.4/1.14.1, release candidate #1

Posted by Stephan Ewen <ew...@gmail.com>.
That's right, they are referenced in POMs published with the jars, though.
But that's minor.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
AFAIK none of the jars we publish actually contains log4j.
It's only bundled by the distribution/python binaries/docker images.

Hence I don't think the jars help in this case.

On 15/12/2021 10:42, Stephan Ewen wrote:
> Given that these artifacts are published already, users can use them if
> they want to update now:
>
> For example:
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/org.apache.flink/flink-core/1.14.1/jar
>
> Just for the users that really want to update now (rather than rely on the
> mitigation via config) and are not as much concerned about the remaining
> weakness in log4j 2.15.0
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:18 PM Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for managing these updates Chesnay!
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 3:51 PM Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Since the maven artifacts have already been published we will use the
>>> next patch version for each release, i.e.:
>>> 1.11.6
>>> 1.12.7
>>> 1.13.5

Posted by Stephan Ewen <ew...@gmail.com>.