Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/09 21:22:33 UTC

ESB vs. OSGi

Hi all,

Can someone make the picture more clear about differences/similarities
between Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and OSGi?

Thanks.

--
Ersin

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Ersin Er wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> Can someone make the picture more clear about
>>> differences/similarities between Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and OSGi?
>>>

>> What are the similarities and differences between sculpture and
>> Lego?  Between a house and wood?  Between a University and
>> buildings?  Between Java and an Office Suite?
>>
>>     --- Noel
> I do not mean that they serve for same purposes but there seem to be
> some conceptual similarities. One of them may be built on top of the
> other. Especially the service registering concept is similar. Now I've
> googled and got some answers, for example:
> http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/corona/
>
> This does not mean they are same/similar but it seems that they may
> meet somewhere.

In a non-straightforward way, I think that this is the point that was
being made, that one can be created with the other...perhaps.

-> richard

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Can someone make the picture more clear about differences/similarities
>> between Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and OSGi?
>>

> What are the similarities and differences between sculpture and Lego?  Between a house and wood?  Between a University and buildings?  Between Java and an Office Suite?
>
> 	--- Noel
I do not mean that they serve for same purposes but there seem to be
some conceptual similarities. One of them may be built on top of the
other. Especially the service registering concept is similar. Now I've
googled and got some answers, for example:
http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/corona/

This does not mean they are same/similar but it seems that they may meet
somewhere.

Cheers,
--
Ersin

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

FYI, I've not been insulted by Noel's or any other response in this
thread and I've understood what Noel has intended to explain. All are
good guys here, so no problem at all ;-)

Thank you Noel, Rob, and all others for your interest, really.

Cheers,

--
Ersin

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
> I thought that reply was actually quite funny. C'mon, we're all grown
> ups here, we should be able to deal with a witty remark like that now
> and then :)

Hehe agreed! All are swell guys on this list.

BTW nice to see you here for a change Eelco.

Alex

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
I thought that reply was actually quite funny. C'mon, we're all grown
ups here, we should be able to deal with a witty remark like that now
and then :)

Eelco

Re: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

RE: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
John E. Conlon wrote:
> The last relationship of the sequence is reversed - it should be
> 'Between an Office Suite and Java'

LOL  Yeah, I saw.  Sorry.  :-)

	--- Noel

RE: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:48 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Rob Walker wrote:

> > > What are the similarities and differences between sculpture
> > > and Lego?  Between a house and wood?  Between a University
> > > and buildings?  Between Java and an Office Suite?
>
> > Sorry Noel - but that is rude and unhelpful. You may believe this
> > question was irrelevant or not sensible, but that doesn't mean that
> > others would - nor does it mean it deserves anything other than a
> > curteous response.
>
> I'm sorry if you took it that way, but if you look at both my reply and Ersin Er's response to it, I believe that he understood it in the intended spirit.
>
> Each of my examples *did* have a connection.  In all cases, one is a general purpose item that could be, but need not be, part of the construction of the other.  In the same manner, an ESB is a concept for unified messaging systems.  OSGi is a system for building and managing applications built out of pluggable (Java) packages.  I might well use OSGi in the development of an ESB.  Or not.  An ESB can be made in many ways, and OSGi can be used as the foundation of many applications.
>
> So that is how I would first look at the similarities and differences, but that might not be the same sorts of categories being seen by Ersin.  There are many ways to categorize things, and those will determine how we see them as similar or dissimilar.  In his reply to me, he started to identify more specifically what he was getting at, e.g., both have some ostensibly related concepts such as service registeration.  Once we identify such concepts, we can consider how each might approach those conceptual areas in similar and different manners.  That will be easier for OSGi, since it actually has a specification, whereas an ESB is really a concept, without nearly as fixed a form.
>
> 	--- Noel

The last relationship of the sequence is reversed - it should be
'Between an Office Suite and Java'

- Albertus Magnus;-)

RE: ESB vs. OSGi

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.