Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2001/06/20 17:26:53 UTC

RFC: new module: Apache::FakeEnv

Hi!

I am currently working on a module that generates a Fake Apache
Request Object like Apache::FakeRequest does, but that also
parses the Apache Configuration and enables the user to access
values set with PerlSetVar (i.e. fake $r->dir_config).

This Request Object can than be used in mod_perl modules, when
running from the command line.

I have a first (sort of) working version at:
http://domm.zsi.at/source_code/Apache-FakeEnv.pm
and the documentation at:
http://domm.zsi.at/Apache-FakeEnv.html
or embedded in Apache-FakeEnv.pm in pod-format

This module has some limitations (see Section Limitations in the
doc) that I would like to remove, but I'm not sure how, so ...

* Is it possible to subclass mod_perl or Apache::Request from
outside of Apache (i.e. in a plain perl environment) ?

* If not (which it seems to be), what would be the best way to
implement all (more or less..) mod_perl methods and subclasses
(Apache::Request et.al) ? Can one use the C code that mod_perl
is based on? (Well, I guess I can't because I've never done any real
C coding ...) ?

* Does a parser for the Apache Conifg Files exist somewhere
(Parse::ReDescent or similar) or can one use the Apache Source
Code or Apache itself to parse the config  ?

* Do you think that this module could be of interest to others
(Should I put it on CPAN) ?

Thanks for your attention !

--
D_omm
O_xyderkes         http://domm.zsi.at

Re: RFC: new module: Apache::FakeEnv

Posted by darren chamberlain <dl...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Thomas Klausner (domm@zsi.at) said something to this effect on 06/20/2001:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently working on a module that generates a Fake Apache
> Request Object like Apache::FakeRequest does, but that also
> parses the Apache Configuration and enables the user to access
> values set with PerlSetVar (i.e. fake $r->dir_config).

*snip*

> * Does a parser for the Apache Conifg Files exist somewhere
> (Parse::ReDescent or similar) or can one use the Apache Source
> Code or Apache itself to parse the config  ?

Don't know about the rest, but I saw Config::General, which will
parse an Apache config file into a hash. Very useful, and very
well done.

(darren)

--
It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still
carry a tune.