Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2005/04/19 00:45:38 UTC

Colors in console appender

Hey all... is it possible to color-code messages written to the console
with ConsoleAppender?  I tried using ANSI escape sequences, but it
didn't seem to work.  I also found:

http://dsd.lbl.gov/sea/api/src-html/gov/lbl/dsd/sea/nio/util/ColorConsoleAppender.html

But it didn't seem to work either... If it's actually possible I'll take
the time to figure out why, but I'd hate to waste time on something that
won't work no matter what.  This is on Windows by the way, I don't need
it color-coded in a Unix environment.

Thanks in advance!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

RE: Colors in console appender

Posted by Andy McBride <an...@dsl.pipex.com>.
I spent ages once trying to get this to work on windows without success.

Appenders are available (as you found) which work on unix/linux but with all
the windows ansi hacks I could find, I still couldn't get it to work on
windows xp.

My advice would be to not bother (unless anyone else has the solution) :-(

I've used a SoundAppender in a development environment to highlight error
messages with humorous results dependant on the choice of .wav file used :-)

Regards

Andy