Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sofia Georgiakaki <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2011/08/03 14:35:57 UTC

TotalOrderPartitioner with new api - help

Good evening,

I would like to ask you a question regarding the use of TotalOrderPartitioner.
I am working on my diploma thesis, and I need to use the
TotalOrderPartitioner (with the InputSampler of course), under Hadoop
0.20.2

In
order to use it, I need to apply the patch
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-366), but
it fails for some reason.

If I am correct, the patch modifies the TotalOrderPartitioner & InputSampler classes in  the org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib package, in order to deprecate them and then it specifies 2 new classes to be used: TotalOrderPartitioner & InputSampler in org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.partitioner, using the new API.

I would like to ask, if someone has successfully applied the patch. Could he send me the new classes
(TotalOrderPartitioner and InputSampler) from their hadoop installation, after the patch is applied? (it affects the 2 classes
both in org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib and
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.partitioner packages). Or at least you
could suggest another solution?

I hope this will not consume your time. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I
need these two classes in order to finish my diploma thesis, and I don't know from who I should ask for help.

Thank you very much in advance,
Sofia Georgiakaki
undergraduate student
department of Electronic & Computer Engineering
Technical University of Crete, Greece

Re: TotalOrderPartitioner with new api - help

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Sofia,

I'd recommend using the old (actually, stable) API for development
right now, when using 0.20.2. Do not be confused by the deprecation
marks since it has been un-deprecated for later releases. Using the
stable API should rid you of the trouble of patching the whole thing
up.

I.e., use JobConf+JobClient+'mapred'-package to build and run jobs
instead of the 'Job' class and 'mapreduce' package.

--
Harsh J