Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/11/25 00:11:34 UTC

Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

All,

As promised, today's webinar "Apache Tomcat 9: HTTP/2 Quick Start" is
now available on the Apache Tomcat YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpJ0-G1lYfUBQ6_36Au_g

Mark

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> thx,
>
> one question i have, is server push always code?
> because for me it is
> if this js file is hit (served by the default servlet of tomcat i guess).
> also send in this set..
>
> So its kind of a configuration, or should i just use a filter for that?
>
> It is code only, so you should use a filter for your use case. There may
be configuration for this eventually, but the most likely is that this
config is delegated to frameworks, which will then use the code.

Rémy

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/11/2015 11:06, Johan Compagner wrote:
> thx,
>
> one question i have, is server push always code?

At the moment, yes.

> because for me it is
> if this js file is hit (served by the default servlet of tomcat i guess).
> also send in this set..
>
> So its kind of a configuration, or should i just use a filter for that?

A Filter would work for now.

Anything else would require the default servlet to parse the static
content to look for whatever marker is used to indicate additional
resources to push. I'm not sure that is a good solution.

Mark

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.
thx,

one question i have, is server push always code?
because for me it is
if this js file is hit (served by the default servlet of tomcat i guess).
also send in this set..

So its kind of a configuration, or should i just use a filter for that?

On 25 November 2015 at 00:11, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> As promised, today's webinar "Apache Tomcat 9: HTTP/2 Quick Start" is
> now available on the Apache Tomcat YouTube channel:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpJ0-G1lYfUBQ6_36Au_g
>
> Mark

Johan Compagner
Servoy

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.

> > how
> >>
> >> You'd need an HTTP/2 compliant reverse proxy. The proxy would then
> >> decide whether to push the resource to the client, cache it on the
proxy
> >> or just drop it on the floor. How the proxy decides what to do is
TBD.

> >> Mark
> >>

> > Well, in our case the proxy does not have all the resources to be
pushed
> > and not the knowledge which resources should be pushed. For us it
would be
> > great if the application could push through the proxy to the client.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear. The app would push to the proxy and then the
> proxy decides whether to push to client, cache or drop the request.
>
> Mark

Alright, we just need to patch mod_proxy :)

Regards,
Christoph

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 11/25/15 6:44 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/11/2015 22:38, George Sexton wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> On 11/24/2015 4:11 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> As promised, today's webinar "Apache Tomcat 9: HTTP/2 Quick Start" is
>>> now available on the Apache Tomcat YouTube channel:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpJ0-G1lYfUBQ6_36Au_g
>>
>> I watched the video and I have two comments. First, I'm really excited
>> about SNI support. For my particular use-case, it's going to be really
>> nice.
>>
>> Second, for my use case, I deploy hundreds ( like 700+ on one server
>> right now) of virtual hosts. I deploy and un-deploy hosts kind of
>> randomly depending on things that are happening. I use the host-manager
>> application to deploy/undeploy virtual hosts. At startup time, I have a
>> script that generates the host entries to a file, and then I include
>> that file within server.xml using an entity expansion.
>>
>> I'm trying to understand how I could dynamically deploy a new host with
>> an SSL certificate. Since the certificate configuration seems to be
>> getting done at the connector, it "looks" to me like deploying a host
>> with a new certificate (or changed certificate) would require
>> re-starting the connector (tomcat). That would be really painful for me,
>> forcing me to delay cert changes until maintenance times.
>
> You are correct, that - currently - a Connector restart would be required.
>
>> I wish that configuration was more consolidated. Right now (and if I'm
>> doing this wrong, let me know), I have the generated host snippet that
>> gets included in server.xml. Then, I have
>> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname/context.xml which contains the
>> context docBase, and access log valve configuration. Now, I'm looking at
>> a 3rd thing with the certificates named in the Connector entry. Is there
>> any way that .pem files that are in
>> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname could be auto-loaded for that
>> virtual host? I'm just kind of brainstorming.
>
> The separation of the Host element and the SSLVirtualHost element was
> bugging me slightly, as was the duplication of the default host
> information. This is a good use case for trying to come up with
> something better / consolidated.

I'd like to point-out that this is no more painful than doing the same
operation on Tomcat 7 or 8... you still need to restart the connector if
you want to change something about the TLS configuration. I just wanted
to make it clear that this isn't any kind of loss of capabilties or a
regression or anything.

I suppose the Connector could "search" through the configured <Host>s
looking for one that had a name (or alias) matching the SNI name in the
TLS handshake, and then looking for an appropriate SSLHostConfig (or
whatever) configuration to go with it. That would slow-down the
handshake ever so slightly.

This is all new stuff, and so it doesn't have the support yet for fancy
re-configuration at runtime, yet. This is good feedback.

What if adding a <Host> at runtime -- either directly, programatically,
or by using JMX/some other technique -- could also add an SSLHostConfig
to wherever is appropriate? So, if we were to move SSLHostConfig from
the Connector to the Host itself, or leave it where it is, Tomcat could
take-care of the complexity there for you?

>> Also, just thinking out
>> loud, it would be really nice if Tomcat automatically found a host
>> configuration xml file in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname so that
>> I don't have to do the kind of ugly hack of the entity inclusion which
>> has it's own problems (picture JSVC restart after deploying new host).
>
> We'd need to think about naming, otherwise there will be the potential
> for the file being treated as a context file.

+1

Instead of using conf/Catalina/[hostname].xml (or similar), we could use
a subdirectory:

conf/Catalina/hosts/[hostname].xml

The "hosts" subdirectory should never be confused with a context
deployment descriptor.

>> I appreciate your thoughts, and if I'm doing something the hard way, any
>> suggestions you might have.
>
> I can't think of a better way right now. I'll see what I can come up
> with. It is probably worth creating an enhancement request in Bugzilla
> against 9.0.x with the info you provided above.

+1

This was a milestone release with a "1.0" waaaay down the line -- mostly
because of the fact that we have to wait-around for the Servlet and
other related specifications to be finalized -- so I think we have
plenty of time to change our minds about things.

I've had many occasions to talk to Mark about Tomcat use versus
implementation and he's made it perfectly clear to me that he is neither
an application developer nor an administrator, so he's not a good
resource for coming up with real-world requirements. That is, he's not a
"user" of Tomcat and therefore not in a great position to be able to
guess what the best way for users to use Tomcat would be.

That's where we -- the users and the community -- come in: *we* are a
much better resource for that kind of thing, so we can tell the
committers what we need. I'm mostly reiterating my assertion from above
that "this is good feedback". So please, continue this conversation with
us, because it will result in a better product for everyone.

-chris

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by George Sexton <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.
Mark,

On 11/24/2015 4:11 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> All,
>
> As promised, today's webinar "Apache Tomcat 9: HTTP/2 Quick Start" is
> now available on the Apache Tomcat YouTube channel:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpJ0-G1lYfUBQ6_36Au_g

I watched the video and I have two comments. First, I'm really excited
about SNI support. For my particular use-case, it's going to be really nice.

Second, for my use case, I deploy hundreds ( like 700+ on one server
right now) of virtual hosts. I deploy and un-deploy hosts kind of
randomly depending on things that are happening. I use the host-manager
application to deploy/undeploy virtual hosts. At startup time, I have a
script that generates the host entries to a file, and then I include
that file within server.xml using an entity expansion.

I'm trying to understand how I could dynamically deploy a new host with
an SSL certificate. Since the certificate configuration seems to be
getting done at the connector, it "looks" to me like deploying a host
with a new certificate (or changed certificate) would require
re-starting the connector (tomcat). That would be really painful for me,
forcing me to delay cert changes until maintenance times.

I wish that configuration was more consolidated. Right now (and if I'm
doing this wrong, let me know), I have the generated host snippet that
gets included in server.xml. Then, I have
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname/context.xml which contains the
context docBase, and access log valve configuration. Now, I'm looking at
a 3rd thing with the certificates named in the Connector entry. Is there
any way that .pem files that are in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname could be auto-loaded for that
virtual host? I'm just kind of brainstorming. Also, just thinking out
loud, it would be really nice if Tomcat automatically found a host
configuration xml file in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/hostname so that
I don't have to do the kind of ugly hack of the entity inclusion which
has it's own problems (picture JSVC restart after deploying new host).

I appreciate your thoughts, and if I'm doing something the hard way, any
suggestions you might have.

> Mark

George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com

Re: Today's Tomcat 9 HTTP/2 webinar is now available on YouTube

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
For those who can't access youtube, you can find the video on youku.com:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM5NTU3Mjk2MA==.html

Posted by Martijn Bos <ma...@maboc.nl>.
Mark,

On 2015-11-24 23:11:34, Mark Thomas wrote:
> All,
>
> As promised, today's webinar "Apache Tomcat 9: HTTP/2 Quick Start" is
> now available on the Apache Tomcat YouTube channel:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpJ0-G1lYfUBQ6_36Au_g
>
> Mark

I think I gonna like these series.
For now I just quickly scanned through the video, but I will definetly watch the whole video soon.

Thanks for your efforts...keep 'm coming.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Bos
+31 6 39477001