Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Kristofer Eriksson <Kr...@techmar.de> on 2004/09/27 12:09:57 UTC

Too many open files error

Hi all,

I have just deployed a Jetspeed portal app, and suddenly getting this error:

2004-09-27 10:58:57,714 [http-8080-Processor23] ERROR JetspeedLoggingService
- Error rendering Velocity template: layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open
files

java.io.IOException: Too many open files

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader.findTemplate(
FileResourceLoader.java:210)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader.getResourceSt
ream(FileResourceLoader.java:169)

          at org.apache.velocity.Template.process(Template.java:136)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.loadResource(Resour
ceManagerImpl.java:466)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.getResource(Resourc
eManagerImpl.java:384)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTemplate(RuntimeInstance.java
:814)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeSingleton.getTemplate(RuntimeSingleton.ja
va:355)

          at
org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java:482)

          at
org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java:461)

rethrown as

org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity template:
layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open files

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.renderingError(T
urbineVelocityService.java:533)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.decodeRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:499)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.handleRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:336)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.handleRequest(TurbineVe
locity.java:143)

etc.

It is certainly a turbine error, but the application is jetspeed based. I
have searched both the turbine and the Jetspeed mailing lists for info, but
only found one post, describing the same problem.

What do I do wrong, what can be wrong? Config? Any information appreciated.

Kind Regards

Kristofer Eriksson

Re: Too many open files error

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Kristofer Eriksson <Kr...@techmar.de> writes:

>I have just deployed a Jetspeed portal app, and suddenly getting this error:

>2004-09-27 10:58:57,714 [http-8080-Processor23] ERROR JetspeedLoggingService
>- Error rendering Velocity template: layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open
>files

>java.io.IOException: Too many open files

>          at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

On Unix? Or on Windows?

On Unix: man 1 ulimit
On Windows: Install Unix, then man 1 ulimit :-)

>It is certainly a turbine error, but the application is jetspeed based. I

No. It is an OS error. This is far far far below Turbine and even the JRE.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"

Re: Too many open files error

Posted by Akmal Sarhan <as...@byteaction.de>.
We are using Lucene and at some point we had this error. are you using
any thing that is trying to manage a lot of files?!

regards

Akmal