Posted to announce@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/06/13 23:03:37 UTC

Update notifications for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Installations

We have enabled the upgrade notification server for OpenOffice.org
3.3.0.  By default OOo 3.3.0 checks for updates once a week.  When an
upgrade is available, a dialog pops up and notifies the user about the
update, and directs them to a website where they can learn more and
download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.

The update notifications are HTTP GET requests to an openoffice.org
address, using standard ports and protocols. So no special
administrative action should be required to enable receipt of these
notifications.

If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 user and have not received an
upgrade notification yet, you can manually check via the "Check
for Upgrades" item in the Help menu in OpenOffice.  Or, go directly to
http://download.openoffice.org to download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Update notifications for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Installations

Posted by Louis B Bushard <lb...@comcast.net>.
Rob,

I get the update notification. BUT when I download Appache Open Office
3.4 nothing good happens when I execute

  Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

  It does not put a link on my desktop for example. It does put a Folder
icon for 3.4 but that is all.

  FYI I have been using Open Office for ~ 4years and I have never had
an  issue downloading an updated version. I presently have and daily use
Open  Office 3.3.

Can you help?

Thanks, Lou Bushard