Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com> on 2009/07/17 17:14:54 UTC

Re: JCR-1778 (was: Jackrabbit 1.5.7 release plan)

On Jul 15, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> 2009/7/14 Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>:
>> Not strictly a backport, since as far as I know this is still
>> opened for
>> 1.6/2.0, but is there any chance JCR-1778 would get fixed ?
>
> Well, we'd need someone to submit a patch for that... I don't know of
> anyone actively working on that issue.

Sounds reasonable, of course. I *would* happily provide a patch, if I
had any idea/suggestion what direction to go to fix this.

Cheers,

-g

Re: JCR-1778 (was: Jackrabbit 1.5.7 release plan)

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/18 Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>:
> Hi Jukka,
>

> On Jul 17, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Sounds reasonable, of course. I *would* happily provide a patch, if I had
>>> any idea/suggestion what direction to go to fix this.
>>
>> Take a look at the BindableRepository class and see if  you could make
>> the shutdown() method remove the troublesome cache entry in
>> BindableRepositoryFactory.
>
> This seemed reasonable at first, and I have a patch that actually does
> something like that now. (from RegistryHelper, since that's where BR/BRF are
> used)
>
> But looking at the related JCR-411, I am now under the impression that
> there's something more broken than it appears (or perhaps something lacking
> a little inline comment here and there). In JCR-411, I see "On the next
> lookup, BindableRepositoryFactory.getObjectInstance is invoked". Reading
> this, I assumed that the javax.naming.Reference instance that's used tells
> jndi to use BRF "on the next lookup" (the Reference does point to BRF's
> classname; why else?).

that depends on the implementation of javax.naming.Context, i.e. your
jndi provider,

> Well, as far as I can tell, that's not the case. So
> now, I'm left wondering what the jx.n.Reference is there for at all and why
> BRF has an instance cache (which after all somehow is redundant with jndi)

the cache in BRF makes sure that there's only one rep instance per
configuration.
see JCR-411 for more information.

cheers
stefan

Posted by Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>.
Hi Jukka,

On Jul 17, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/7/17 Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>:
>> On Jul 15, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> Well, we'd need someone to submit a patch for that... I don't know
>>> of
>>> anyone actively working on that issue.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable, of course. I *would* happily provide a patch, if
>> I had
>> any idea/suggestion what direction to go to fix this.
>
> Take a look at the BindableRepository class and see if  you could make
> the shutdown() method remove the troublesome cache entry in
> BindableRepositoryFactory.

This seemed reasonable at first, and I have a patch that actually does
something like that now. (from RegistryHelper, since that's where BR/
BRF are used)

But looking at the related JCR-411, I am now under the impression that
there's something more broken than it appears (or perhaps something
lacking a little inline comment here and there). In JCR-411, I see "On
the next lookup, BindableRepositoryFactory.getObjectInstance is
invoked". Reading this, I assumed that the javax.naming.Reference
instance that's used tells jndi to use BRF "on the next lookup" (the
Reference does point to BRF's classname; why else?). Well, as far as I

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2009/7/17 Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>:
> On Jul 15, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Well, we'd need someone to submit a patch for that... I don't know of
>> anyone actively working on that issue.
>
> Sounds reasonable, of course. I *would* happily provide a patch, if I had
> any idea/suggestion what direction to go to fix this.

Take a look at the BindableRepository class and see if  you could make
the shutdown() method remove the troublesome cache entry in
BindableRepositoryFactory.

BR,

Jukka Zitting