Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2009/12/15 20:49:09 UTC

Re: [OT] Context Chicken & Egg Problem

David,

I'm bringing this back onto the list in case it helps anyone. Also
marking OT.

On 12/15/2009 1:42 PM, David Fisher wrote:
> We designed things during the Tomcat 3 timeframe. I will need to push my
> developer to do it the JNDI way, I'll likely have to do it myself.
>
> I've found these resources:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
>
> Are there other resources that you would recommend for configuring JDBC
> through JNDI?

Those are pretty comprehensive. Configuring JNDI DataSources isn't all
that hard: just put a <Resource> element into your <Context> and make
sure your driver's JAR file is available to the common ClassLoader (so
Tomcat can create the objects, and your code can use them).

> Any technotes about db failover, etc. Should we consider
> DBCP?

All db failover should be done through your driver. Tomcat uses
commons-dbcp under the hood, so you're already using connection pooling.
There's a newer pool available if you want to try it out (higher
performance, more features), but it appears to have a few bugs in it,
and it's not really ready for prime-time.

> How well does this technique work in an Eclipse environment?

Eclipse should be able to run Tomcat normally and the use of JNDI
shouldn't be a problem. I don't use Eclipse, though, so I don't know for
sure. I haven't read too many complaints on the list about JNDI not
working via Eclipse.

>> I'm pretty sure that the Oracle JDBC drivers are compatible with all
>> versions of the server. You should use the most up-to-date version of
>> the Oracle JDBC driver that you can find, regardless of the server
>> version.
>
> I know it, but then I have a conservative developer who is afraid of
> taking the risk, even though Oracle says the 10g JDBC is ok with Oracle 8.

I didn't think Oracle even had server-version-specific JDBC drivers.
Anyhow, go ahead and use the version-matched JDBC driver if it makes
your developers happy. No matter what you do, make sure to test the hell
out of it before it goes into production :)

> We have a JIRA instance that requires the Oracle 9 drivers and my oracle
> session view is missing the os_user and program from that system's
> connections. So, I can't argue too strongly to update our jdbc jar.

Hmm... that's definitely a problem when it comes to Tomcat-managed
DataSources: all webapps must use the same driver version.

Hope that helps,
- -chris

Re: [OT] Context Chicken & Egg Problem

Posted by Elli Albek <el...@sustainlane.com>.
Another simple way to use tomcat with eclipse is to start tomcat with
remote debugging, and attach to it from eclipse. A couple of switches
in the tomcat startup script should do it.

Re: [OT] Context Chicken & Egg Problem

Posted by Ken Bowen <kb...@als.com>.
On the Eclipse question:  Eclipse basically just starts your Tomcat
(which you configure
into Eclipse), using it's own startup script which maps all Tomcat
output into the Eclipse
console.  As such, JNDI (or whatever else) works just like it does
when start Tomcat
from it's own startup.sh in ~bin.