Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2019/05/29 08:34:09 UTC

Installers -- making them official for 11.1?

Hi all,

Now that the installer sources are in our GitHub repo:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/master/nbbuild/installer

...thanks to Reema's work here:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1052

Is there anything preventing us from including the installers as
convenience binaries as part of the 11.1 release, instead of having them
available as experimental installers in her repo here:

https://github.com/rtaneja1/incubator-netbeans/tree/installer-bin-11vc4/nbbuild/installer/binaries

Hope so, would be excellent -- the missing official installers is probably
our most requested feature. :-)

Gj

Re: Installers -- making them official for 11.1?

Posted by Patrick Musembi <pa...@gmail.com>.
Adopt Netbeans is fine. Because of those developers who want php support
only or html/js.

+1

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Yes, based on everything discussed and agreed here, you’re then in the
clear to use Apache NetBeans as name.

Gj

Posted by Kodewerk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Hi,

FYI, this is how Apache JMeter is distro’ed  https://jmeter.apache.org/download_jmeter.cgi <https://jmeter.apache.org/download_jmeter.cgi>

And we have this… http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html <http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html>

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:11 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> It's an interesting question then if people configure the build to just
> build the HTML support should we allow that? It is still the unmodified
> released source, so shouldn't be an issue, although we might require some
> sort of labelling that it's cut down? I think it would be a good thing to
> have editions like that without necessarily having to do them all
> ourselves.

Yes, this is where it becomes confusing/interesting. If AdoptOpenJDK were
to take the release sources and create 'Apache NetBeans' from that but only
the clusters providing a Java SE distribution, while some other
organization creates 'Apache NetBeans' to support their HTML/JavaScript
framework, i.e., this would not contain any Java-oriented features at all,
then 'Apache NetBeans' means different things.

Or maybe we could say only if you create Apache NetBeans that provides all
the features that are released (i.e., the 'full' distribution) from the
release sources can you call it Apache NetBeans, anything else you'd have
to name it something to distinguish it from the full distribution?

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 31 May 2019, 09:40 Geertjan Wielenga, <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> So, based on this, if AdoptOpenJDK make no changes at all, but simply aim
> to redistribute the same Apache NetBeans that we release here, they can use
> the 'Apache NetBeans' name. However, they would need to redistribute the
> binary that we produce in a release, i.e., they couldn't go to the GitHub
> repo, do a clone, and then create some subset of it to produce their own
> binary -- since that binary could, for example, potentially, provide a
> distribution that only contains HTML features, theoretically. They could
> not call that Apache NetBeans, even though they haven't modified the
> sources in any way?

Given Apache only officially makes source releases, I don't think we need
to (or should) enforce the use of our binaries, just the release sources /
tag. Of course, without reproducible builds can we actually prove that?
Still, building from source will be a requirement for many uses, such as
Linux distros.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Right, thanks a lot for that reference.

What Kirk is looking at doing via AdoptOpenJDK is: "Free copies of Apache
NetBeans software under the Apache License and support services for Apache
NetBeans are available at AdoptOpenJDK."

Meanwhile, since Emilian has modified Apache NetBeans (added some modules,
additional features, etc), the second case in the link you sent applies:
"My own derivative works of Apache NetBeans software and support services
for those derivative works are available as CoolBeans, i.e., under my own
trademarks at my website."

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I believe so, but cannot confirm with 100% certainty.

Is there a way we can provide this certainty, i.e., is this something we
can decide ourselves or do we need to have this approved by Apache -- does
anyone know?

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Kodewerk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Hi Gj,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kodewerk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kodewerk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
OK, which one?

Posted by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Ferguson <ma...@sky.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk>.

Re: Re: Installers -- making them official for 11.1

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
This is probably an enhancement request or an activity for a future time but with the more recent changes in Java I seem to recall with the jlink and/or jpackage coming that it is possible to no longer require a JDK directly be installed but build a package with a subset of items for inclusion in the java applicable and avoid the need all together. Although there may still be some licensing constraints on some of that depending on what is used.

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk>.
It is exactly this sort of confusion that makes it tougher for beginners to
get started.
I tried to help a beginner recently and I got confuse too :-)
If I remember correctly the old installer checked for an installation and
told you want to do if it didn't find one.
I think the current installer installed a jre (I think I noticed it go
past).
mikej

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Musembi <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eduardo Quintanilla <eq...@bnext.mx>.
How about downloading the JDK as a step in the installer? Then any distribution could be added to that list by the community with a PR request  and no license issues will be needed to solve.

Best regards,
Eduardo Quintanilla
Software Developer

I have been using Azul Zulu JDK for a while now with no issues.  Very simple zip to extract.  +1 for targeting Zulu as the free OpenJDK for use.
However, I'm not sure if we could necessarily "Package" it with Apache NetBeans.  If there is an OpenJDK that would be acceptable for packaging along with the Apache NetBeans installer, then that would be the simplest solution for a beginner.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
As someone who grew up in South Africa, I think it would be awesome if
there’d be a Zulu IDE, bundled with the Zulu JDK (rebranded and with a few
Zulu-specific modules). :-)

Gj

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.