Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2002/04/24 17:46:06 UTC

[OT] OR mapping tools as a commodity

Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>on 4/24/02 8:13 AM, "Bala Kamallakharan" <ba...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I personally like Zodo JDO
>>(http://www.solarmetric.com/). It is pretty slick, it
>>does exactly what you want to do. Given a class that
>>you build in Java it can generate tables and make the
>>classes Persistence Capable.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bala
>>

><http://www.solarmetric.com/Software/Kodo_JDO/pricing.php>
>
>Only >$3000 to deploy it!
>
>Bah. This stuff should be free.

When reading this thread, I couldn't avoid remembering having read a few
days ago, in the context of MS auditing schools in Oregon?, that Office
automation software and OSes do not longer deserve paying the "premium"
of brands (read MS Office), as it is becoming a "generic drug" (a
commodity, in other terms, read OpenOffice, kOffice, abiword/gnumeric,
you name it).

I think OR mapping tools (most development tools, in fact) are reaching
the same status.

This is a sign of maturity in software engineering. One of the few I've
seen lately.