Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrius Sabanas <an...@taide.lt> on 2000/04/10 00:07:51 UTC

Problems with entities in XML

Hi,

I am using numerically escaped characters like &#260; in xml.
However, after rendering the page to html, I see '?' marks
instead. This happens with all codes greater that &#255;.
Is it a bug or a normal behaviour? I tried setting different
encodings in xml file, but no effect. I don't use any DTD's.

My system is:
Blackdown JDK for Linux 1.1.7v2
Apache 1.3.9
Apache JServ 1.1
Cocoon 1.7
Xerces-J 1.0.3
Xalan 0.20.0

--
Andrius Sabanas
mailto:andsh@taide.lt

Re: Problems with entities in XML

Posted by Ed Knutson <ed...@webcombo.net>.
> No, this is not the case :-) , because '?' are in the html source
> (in both Netscape 4.5 and Mozilla M14).

It's a charset related issue: therefore, it will look the same in almost any
browser (try Opera: lynx will just ignore the char), and in source or rendered
mode.  I believe it has to do with Java's character encoding method.  I have
noticed this phenomenon before and outside of Cocoon.  Pages generated by Java
look fine under Wind0ws, but have question marks all over them in
Linux/XFree86.  (Remember: Linux developers tend to favor a robust, reliable
kernel over a pretty presentation).

If it still looks screwed up in IE, then maybe you have a bug.  Otherwise, we
all know Netscape is has its own bugs and Mozilla is better but still not
perfect....

-ed

Re: Problems with entities in XML

Posted by Andrius Sabanas <an...@taide.lt>.