Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/16 16:22:08 UTC

[digester][Semi OT] Annotations in digester rock!

Hi all
This email is just to thank you about the annotation support  for
Commons Digester.
i was able to do the XML mapping in minutes. I used the "classic"
configuration way before, but the annotation way is much easier.
I used it in an experimental work at Velocity, where I needed to map
TLD files (JSP Tag library descriptors):
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk/maven-velocity-tools-plugin/
Before this, I thought that XStream was the best XML tool (cool in the
default mode, but when you have to configure it, it can be pretty
difficult), but now mapping XMLs is just as easy as mapping JPA
entities.

Thanks for the great work!

Antonio

Re: [digester][Semi OT] Annotations in digester rock!

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,
sorry for the late reply but I just noticed your email now :(
Personally: THANKS. I've been working on annotations support for
Digester since the far 2008 on google code, then moved here at commons
on sadbox before, finally just on September Rahul evaluated it was
mature enough to move that feature on trunk. They have been 2 long
years :P
Funny things is that what convinced me to start working on that
feature, I was sure too that XStream was the best, but I literally
felt in love with Digester (more flexible, more adaptable) but when
coding large XML documents that have to be mapped to big POJOs,
keeping the rules in synch was difficult. Annotations were the reply
to automate the mapping.
So, after all that work, you can't imagine the feelings I feel reading
your comments, you made my day :)
Have a nice day, all the best,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/