Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com> on 2010/01/14 10:21:46 UTC

Re: "Lost" HDFS space (SOLVED)

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 01:11:29 -0800
Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Are there a lot of files in the tmp directories in dfs.data.dir on
> each data node? What does du (on the host) for these directories
> report? This might be HDFS-821.  dfsadmin -report output would be
> useful as well.

Hmm.. seems I was a bit quick in drawing conclusions - I deleted a lot
of files before running the 'dfs -dus' commands, and it seems it takes
a while for the raw disk space to be reclaimed. My cluster is now at
6.72TB remaining (compared to 1.41 TB 10 minutes ago), and that figure
seems to be increasing as I write my mail.

No, there are not much in the tmp directories.

Thanks for replying anyway, I did learn something from the
experience :-).

Thanks,
\EF
--