Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Jacob Rosenthal <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/07 22:47:37 UTC

Re: Newtmgr over BLE

Whats the internal thinking on this? Is it being discussed elsewhere? Is
the aforementioned rewrite going on, or delayed so it make sense for me to
try to get work on the xpc calls?

Re: Newtmgr over BLE

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacob,

Chris has been working on getting the Mynewt stack working in a cross
platform way.  You can see some of his progress here:

*
https://github.com/ccollins476ad/incubator-mynewt-core/tree/nativehost/apps/blehostd/src

*
https://github.com/ccollins476ad/incubator-mynewt-newt/tree/nmxact/newtmgr

The idea is to use Mynewt’s sim architecture to run in a *nix process,
and then speak HCI to whatever controller is running on the device.
Newtmgr forks mynewt, and then communicates over a unix domain socket
using JSON, and then drives the bluetooth stack.  I actually pinged
Sandeep about this, because it should now work portably across Linux and
Mac with the same Bluetooth host, no wacky kernel stuff necessary.

The caveat on Mac is that you need a controller (NRF* dongle for
example), on Linux you can either run against a Mynewt controller or use
HCI itself.

I think Chris is a week or two off on getting this ready - and I think
it’s still TBD as whether this belongs in core, or as a separate
project.  My vote would be to start with core, and then as it grows,
potentially move it out of core.  But it is very nice to have the Mynewt
stack running as a linux process — and fairly easy to map into other
languages, because the interface is all JSON.

Best,

Sterling