Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <r...@reumann.net> on 2003/07/25 17:43:07 UTC

[ANN] brief example using iBATIS from Struts

There are often newbie requests asking how to deal with a database layer
from Struts. Since there are so many ways this can be done,
'simple' examples of how this can be done seem hard to come by. Since I
currently use iBATIS as my persistence mechanism of choice, I created a
simple Struts application demonstrating just one way a developer could
use database persistence:

http://www.reumann.net/do/struts/ibatisLesson1

I didn't really have the time to write up a full lesson like the others
on the site, but I did provide some comments on a few of the components
that deal directly with iBATIS http://www.ibatis.com/.(The iBATIS
documentation is excellent and should be read first along side the
application). I've looked at the way others have plugged into the
database layer and happen to think the approach I demonstrate is simple
yet also very flexible.

For a more powerful implementation the user should check out the
awesome JPetStore application at
http://www.ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html.

Also, Vic has an interesting approach using iBATIS demonstrated in
the basicPortal application that you can check out
here: http://www.basicportal.com/

--
Rick

RE: [ANN] brief example using iBATIS from Struts

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.
Is there any support for OO or OR Databases in iBATIS?

Damn, how come OO is not catching up as fast as it should?  UML diagram way more
powerful than ER diagram!!!

Struts and Japplets(what's applet good for?)

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.
I wonder if we could integrate Struts and Applet to do some server-client
communication where clients get more control over the UI.  Basically what we
could do now is limited by what html(form) allows us to do.  Often people want
to do more on the web than filling out form(like playing games).

Has anyone gone beyond Struts and <html:form>?  Or this is too much?

BTW, anyone played Yahoo! chess?  That's a server-client program written in
Japplet. And it's pretty slick, but of course Yahoo! has a lot of machine
power:).