Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Heligon Sandra <sa...@thomson.net> on 2003/04/08 14:18:38 UTC

Where is the cookie created by Struts stored ?

	If I understood the mechanism of Struts well. Struts takes care of
the creation of HttpSession at the time of the 	connection of a browser and
thus of the safeguard of the identifier in the form of cookie.
	A cookie is in general represented in the form of a textual file,
for example (heligons@advertsing[1].txt):
	AV_USERKEY
	AVS03ba637c4cd6580a1c21100000200
	altavista.com/
	0
	....*
	I don't find the cookie associated to my Struts application.
	I should have a file heligons@<myApplication>[1].txt, isn't it ?
	Thanks a lot in advance.

As of February 12th, 2003 Thomson unifies its email addresses on a worldwide
basis.
Please note my new email address: sandra.heligon@thomson.net

http://www.thomson.net/

RE: Where is the cookie created by Struts stored ?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Firstly, its not struts that does this for you, its the Servlet API (or to
be more precise your containers implementation of it). Cookies do not always
have to be written to a file - they can be specified as residing in browsers
memory only. You will only get a cookie if something tries to create or use
a HttpSession.

Cookies are one of 2 ways of preserving sessionId that the servlet container
supports. The other is url rewriting which is used when cookies are disabled
in the browser. This involves rewiting all urls that need to participate in
session tracking with a sessionid. This generally requires the developer to
ensure urls are rewritten - the struts tags also support this for things
that involve urls.