Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2005/11/08 07:17:05 UTC

[m1] Problems resolving external dtd reference

After installing 1.1-beta-2, the following external reference (included
in navigation.xml files) that we use to include common menus on the
Jakarta Commons sites is no longer working:

<!DOCTYPE org.apache.commons.menus SYSTEM
'../../commons-build/menus/menus.dtd'>

The xdoc plugin generates the following error:

Relative URI '../../commons-build/menus/menus.dtd' cannot be resolved
without a base URI.

Any ideas how to work around this?  Any better ideas on how to include
common menus and portions thereof on multiple sites?  The commons sites
indivdual navigation.xml files refer to entities defined in the dtd
referenced above, so common elements can be maintained in one place.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Re: [m1] Problems resolving external dtd reference

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
A "solution" is to include your own endorsed copy of Xerces in the JRE/Maven.

I have no idea why the behaviour is different though.

- Brett

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Lukas Theussl wrote:
> This is a known issue: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPXDOC-179
>
> For stand-alone projects, you can make it work by specifying an absolute
> path for the external entity, but this will not work in a multiproject
> set-up. Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't offer anything else right now.

Thanks.  Unfortunately absolute path will not work for this. It is odd,
though, that I am using the same version (1.9.2) of the xdoc plugin in
both cases and it only fails under 1.1-beta-2. Must be the parser or
something to do with the context that the plugin gets the resource.

I am interested in others' approaches to handling common menus shared by
multiple projects.  I don't like the entity reference approach that we
use in commons now and am thinking about writing a plugin to do things
in a cleaner way.  I would be interested in ideas on how best to
approach this.

Phil

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.