Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Danilo Tavares <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 22:17:29 UTC

Test Plan - CouchDB

hello,

I need to perform some tests on MongoDB and CouchDB, but do not know any
tool that serves you both. Does anyone know if Apache JMeter can also be
used in the Couch? Or know another tool?

Thanks.

--
        *  Danilo M. Tavares*

*         Eletrotécnico**Graduando em C. da Computação*

Re: Test Plan - CouchDB

Posted by Dan Santner <da...@me.com>.
I've used blitz.io and really like it.

Re: Test Plan - CouchDB

Posted by James Green <ja...@servessence.com>.
On 2 May 2014 09:23, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Danilo,
>
> AFAIK JMeter has issues with handling requests workflow: when you need
> to make different requests in specific order, like (for couchdb) check
> document availability, create document, update it several times with
> different params and carrying revision token, delete document.
>
> I can suggest you to take tsung[1] or Yandex.tank[2]: both are
> suitable for creating complex benchmarks that simulates real activity
> and specific workflows. If you need to perform just load test, pick
> something like wrk.
>
> As for MongoDB I couldn't say for sure since it uses own binary
> protocol. I fear you have to write your own benchmark client against
> it or looking for existed ones or making plugin for existed benchmark
> tools or whatever.
>
> [1]: http://tsung.erlang-projects.org
> [2]: http://yandextank.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Danilo Tavares
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,
> >

> > I need to perform some tests on MongoDB and CouchDB, but do not know any
> > tool that serves you both. Does anyone know if Apache JMeter can also be
> > used in the Couch? Or know another tool?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> >         *  Danilo M. Tavares*
> >
> > *         Eletrotécnico**Graduando em C. da Computação*

Hello Danilo,

It is possible to use a ForEach controller in one or more thread groups to
automate creating databases and documents in CouchDB with JMeter using a
HTTP sampler.  Adding a HTTP Request Defaults node and a HTTP Cookie
Manager node (if you want to include authentication in your tests) to your
test plan can be a time saver when running against CouchDB.

To Alexander's point about simulating specific workflows it is possible in
JMeter to use a regex to extract values from a GET, assign them to a
variable and use those variables in later PUTs but I can see how that could
quickly get out of hand as complexity rises.  However if you just need to
create a volume of traffic against CouchDB and MongoDB*, JMeter can be just
the ticket.

Ping me off the list if you need a JMX test plan to get started with for
CouchDB.

hope this helps,
- James

* I personally haven't used the MongoDB Script sampler, but note that one
comes in the box.

Re: Test Plan - CouchDB

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Danilo,