Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by lhe77 <la...@compart.net> on 2008/02/26 22:04:29 UTC

new JBI componten: EMail-BC [Discussion thread]

Hi,

actually I am developing a JBI compliant binding component for polling and
sending emails.
I will start here a discussion to put together all ideas and requirements
for this BC. So any
suggestion is welcome.

State:
- The BC uses the JavaMail API to poll and send emails. (2 endpoints for
now)

ToDo:
- Sending mails via spring mail. (via another endpoint)
- integrate frameworks like Velocity for email template handling

Regards,
Lars

Re: new JBI componten: EMail-BC [Discussion thread]

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Lars Heinemann
<la...@compart.net> wrote:
> Guillaume,
>
>  I am wondering why camel isn't using attachments in
>  their messages. There are several cases when they would
>  normally need this feature. (polling per ftp, email etc..)

I agree there may be something missing in camel right now.
Maybe we should look at enhancing it ...

>  For the marshaller logic:
>  Yes, I have done it like this. It is almost the same logic used in
>  the lightweight email component. I think this will fit our needs.

Cool

>  Now the question is how to best implement this templating logic for
>  sending emails.

Good question !  This is really one of the thing I'm not found of in JBI.
Normalizing on the edges impose best practices, but in such use case,
this means that the templating logic has to be put in the BC, which seems
a bit weird to me.

A first solution would be to write several specialized marshallers, one for
each templating strategy ?

Anyway, a work around solution would be to have templating SE (transformation
engines) that transform an exchange and put the result in an attachment possibly
using a reference from the xml to specify the id of the attachement.
The mail BC
would then grab this attachment and use it as the main body of the mail.

>  Another question is if it is really necessary to have the spring mail
>  sending
>  ability in this component. What is the advantage to normal JavaMail sending?

There's none really.  Spring just add a small layer to ease the use and
avoid common mistakes I think.    I don't think there is a real need for both,
so if you have already implemented it using pure JavaMail, it should be
enough.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: new JBI componten: EMail-BC [Discussion thread]

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Great, we've needed that for a long time now :-)
AFAIK, the spring mail support uses the Javamail api.  Is there anything that
the endpoint based on spring could not do wrt to the other one ?

Also wrt to velocity and other templating frameworks, it might we worth
having a look at camel.  I would even consider using camel mail support
(http://activemq.apache.org/camel/mail.html) directly, because camel already
support templating: http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/templating.html

Given that camel supports JBI, we could consider mail endpoints using a camel
route:
   from("jbi:xxx").
      to("velocity:com/acme/MyResponse.vm").
      to("smtp://host:port/")

Just some thoughts....

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM, lhe77 <la...@compart.net> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  actually I am developing a JBI compliant binding component for polling and
>  sending emails.
>  I will start here a discussion to put together all ideas and requirements
>  for this BC. So any
>  suggestion is welcome.
>
>  State:
>  - The BC uses the JavaMail API to poll and send emails. (2 endpoints for
>  now)
>
>  ToDo:
>  - Sending mails via spring mail. (via another endpoint)
>  - integrate frameworks like Velocity for email template handling
>
>  Regards,
>  Lars
>
>  --

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:04 PM, lhe77 <la...@compart.net> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  actually I am developing a JBI compliant binding component for polling and
>  sending emails.
>  I will start here a discussion to put together all ideas and requirements
>  for this BC. So any
>  suggestion is welcome.
>
>  State:
>  - The BC uses the JavaMail API to poll and send emails. (2 endpoints for
>  now)
>
>  ToDo:
>  - Sending mails via spring mail. (via another endpoint)
>  - integrate frameworks like Velocity for email template handling

I'd definitely look at the Spring Mail API for the task of sending
email messages. For polling a server for email messages, unfortunately
Spring doesn't offer anything. You might consider looking at the
Spring DefaultMessageListenerContainer (DMLC) architecture as an
example of connecting to a system and a polling for messages. Although
the DMLC is a JMS client, the same style of architecture would work
for connecting to a mail server and polling for messages.

For testing, I highly suggest looking at using EasyMock
(http://easymock.com/). EasyMock will allow you to mock any Java API
and makes testing a breeze where external systems are involved. I have
mocked JMS brokers, JDBC accessible data sources and much more using
EasyMock. By using EasyMock to mock the functionality of a mail
server, you won't need to develop unit level tests using an actual
mail server. This will be a huge time saver.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: new JBI componten: EMail-BC [Discussion thread]

Posted by lhein <lh...@apache.org>.
The implementation of IMAPS and POP3S seems to be finished now. I have tested
it with out IMAP server which also understands IMAPS. For POP3S I am still
searching for a test possibility.

I will update the component wiki soon to match the actual state of
development.
For the templating I would leave this feature for later (or maybe somebody
else adds it by time).

Now I am fighting with easymock to do some testcases.

Regards,
Lars

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.
Bruce,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lhein <lh...@apache.org>.
I have prepared a first shot of the components wiki.
Have a look here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/NDIB

Feedback is welcome.

Regards,
Lars

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Lars Heinemann
<la...@compart.net> wrote:
> Bruce,
>
>  thank you.
>  I just asked because last time Guillaume told me that it's not enough to only
>  change the component lists page.

Yes, that's correct. Someone with JIRA admin privileges must take care
of it, so I did.

Bruce
);'

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.