Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/19 19:46:51 UTC

Re: Vertically Scaling JMeter

Hi Oliver,

I also ran into this problem with some debian distributions. I've filed it,
personally, as a java issue with linux (since on my home PC where I have
ubuntu and windows7, on windows one jmeter instance runs up to 6000 threads
on a single process before I run out of CPU, while on linux the response
times are much more dispersed even with only 300 threads - the jmeter script
used wasn't dependent on external applications).

For actual load tests, on dual quad core machines with 12-24Gb of RAM, I ran
tests with up to 8-10 JMeter instances. The criteria is not to exceed
200-400 threads per instance of JMeter. The problem is that the high
throughput on each test client and each JMeter instance has to handle, so I
had to tweak a lot about the OS user that runs the test, but the system
itself is optimised to run actual web applications, so, my job was easy. I
didn't need to scale it vertically more than this even if there was more
room for it, since I have enough machines to distribute the test
horizontally as well and until a few months ago I could still put down the
system under test with only my desktop station.

Although its nice to see how much you can take out of each single system, I
would recommend to play it safe always and use more machines when this
question arises. But pleae share the juicy details once you have them.

Regards,
Adrian S