Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2003/02/11 23:49:27 UTC

Re: [net] action items: Version Number

In message <m3...@beholder.brekke.org>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>I'll start with a vocie for a version number of 1.0.0 following the commons gu
>idelines for versioning.
>We already have the migration how-to setup for moving from NetComponents 1.3.8
> to Commons/Net 1.0.0

Sounds good to me.  My bias is toward grepping the documentation for and
removing any lingering references to NetComponents and 1.3.8, voting on
a release, tagging the current HEAD as NET_1_0_0 (is that the Commons
release tagging convention or should it be NET_1 or NET_1_0; NET_1_0_0
makes more sense to me), and producing a release according to
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html

Some may feel there's a need for the first release to be
either an alpha or a beta.  I could agree with a beta, but would prefer
a 1.0 release followed up with a 1.0.1 release if any issues crop up
immediately.  Given that the software does not differ in any substantial
way from the NetComponents 1.3.8 that has been in production use for,
egads!, 5 years, I think a 1.0 release is warranted.  I just want to clear
the path quickly for folks who have submitted patches to have them applied
and for major evolutionary changes to become possible.

daniel

Re: [net] action items: Version Number

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 10:49 PM, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

> Some may feel there's a need for the first release to be
> either an alpha or a beta.  I could agree with a beta, but would prefer
> a 1.0 release followed up with a 1.0.1 release if any issues crop up
> immediately.  Given that the software does not differ in any substantial
> way from the NetComponents 1.3.8 that has been in production use for,
> egads!, 5 years, I think a 1.0 release is warranted.  I just want to clear
> the path quickly for folks who have submitted patches to have them applied
> and for major evolutionary changes to become possible.

+1

(some other components have gone straight to full release. i don't see any
release why this shouldn't happen in this case as well.)

- robert

Re: [VOTE}[net] Release 1.0.0 of Commons/Net

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
OK, we have

four +1's
one 0

I'll roll the release tomorrow night if no one else wants to do it first.

jb

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
+0

-John K

--
John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>

Re: [VOTE}[net] Release 1.0.0 of Commons/Net

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
+1

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Winston Ojeda <oj...@yahoo.com>.
I took a pass at the current CVS code and I't seems to
be clean of any unwanted references.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to cast a
nobinding vote:
+1
in favor of a 1.0.0 release.

Winston Ojeda