Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Iwa Dela Cruz <dr...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/11/29 09:51:40 UTC

Downloading OpenOffice

My husband and I just bought a brand new computer and as soon as I attempted to download Apache OpenOffice I IMMEDIATELY started having problems. First it wouldn't allow me to download and then once I managed to get through that and it began downloading, it started downloading multiple other programs that I have never heard of. It tried to change our browser downloading so many things we had a hard time trying to get rid of and got a Trojan virus as well as having multiple other viruses.
Our internet will no longer connect and we have multiple pop ups on our desktop. I cannot even view my browser history to see if I was directed to a false sight due to the fact that one of the viruses downloaded deleted our browser history. My husband and I are VERY frustrated as this is a new computer. I have used OpenOffice before and never had this problem until now.
We are currently running a full scan on our computer in hopes to fix the problem downloading this program has caused us.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Downloading OpenOffice

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:51:40 -1000
Iwa Dela Cruz <dr...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> My husband and I just bought a brand new computer and as soon as I attempted to download Apache OpenOffice I IMMEDIATELY started having problems. First it wouldn't allow me to download and then once I managed to get through that and it began downloading, it started downloading multiple other programs that I have never heard of. It tried to change our browser downloading so many things we had a hard time trying to get rid of and got a Trojan virus as well as having multiple other viruses.
> Our internet will no longer connect and we have multiple pop ups on our desktop. I cannot even view my browser history to see if I was directed to a false sight due to the fact that one of the viruses downloaded deleted our browser history. My husband and I are VERY frustrated as this is a new computer. I have used OpenOffice before and never had this problem until now.
> We are currently running a full scan on our computer in hopes to fix the problem downloading this program has caused us.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

You must only download from
www/openoffice.org/download
which will redirect you to SourceForge servers where the files are stored.
The download will start in a few seconds (they say 5, sometimes nearer 10) without you needing to click on any other link.

Unfortunately many third party download sites add unwanted toolbars etc as you have found.

Only use the above site. If you are in doubt about the integrity of the download, you can check this by the methods given in
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Downloading OpenOffice

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 11/29/2014 03:51 AM, Iwa Dela Cruz wrote:
> My husband and I just bought a brand new computer and as soon as I attempted to download Apache OpenOffice I IMMEDIATELY started having problems. First it wouldn't allow me to download and then once I managed to get through that and it began downloading, it started downloading multiple other programs that I have never heard of. It tried to change our browser downloading so many things we had a hard time trying to get rid of and got a Trojan virus as well as having multiple other viruses.
> Our internet will no longer connect and we have multiple pop ups on our desktop. I cannot even view my browser history to see if I was directed to a false sight due to the fact that one of the viruses downloaded deleted our browser history. My husband and I are VERY frustrated as this is a new computer. I have used OpenOffice before and never had this problem until now.
> We are currently running a full scan on our computer in hopes to fix the problem downloading this program has caused us.

I suspect you downloaded it from other than www.openoffice.org, and got
it from a site that sends you a lot of crapware.  Only go to
www.openoffice.org to download it and avoid those problems.

Re: Downloading OpenOffice

Posted by mt <mt...@lockedbags.org>.
It sounds like the Apache OpenOffice file you downloaded did not
come from the official Apache OpenOffice Website. Sadly, I
udnerstand this to be possible, and commonly exploited by scammers.

With a brand new computer, I would re-format the HD and
re-install the Operating System first. Then, make sure you
obtain an incorrupted copy of Apache OpenOffice either from its
homepage, at <http://www.openoffice.org/download/>, or directly
from the AOO Project homepage at SourceForce, <http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/>

HTH,
marina