Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Numa Schmeder <nu...@nsconsult.net> on 2006/09/21 13:34:51 UTC

Ability to add the locale in the url

Hello,

I am sorry to disturb the list.  I am facing a concrete problem and i
think it should be addressed to the developer list.
When using tapestry in a multilinguale application, the local in
which the user is browsing the website is stored in a cookie.  That
means when a user changes the locale it might not refresh the page
correctly as the url won't change.  This is because of browser cache,
i had the issue where the user comes back on an already visited page
and gets the page in the old locale, if he refresh the page he gets
it in the correct locale.
The same happen if the user disable cookies or if a search engine
browse the website.  For a search engine the website will be in one
locale.
I am actually using tap3 and haven't done the jump to tap4, but
digging into the internals of tap3 i see we could change all services
(DirectService, ActionService, ExternalService, HomeService) to add
in the context parameters the locale ("serviceContext" in the
"getLink" method).  I am actually testing this modification, and i
can send it back when finished.
I don't know how this could be implemented in tap4 or if it is a
planned feature.  But for future release of tapestry it should be
possible to specify if we want the locale added to the url.

Kind regards

Numa

http://www.le-voyage.com