Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/13 03:08:34 UTC

Check out files from subversion server

Hi,

I have a subversion working directory via a subversion server:
svn co svn://63.23.35.6/source/trunk

Is it safe for me to do stuff like
svn add/delete
when my computer is offline (i.e. it can't connects to 63.23.35.6).

Of course I need to connect to 63.23.35.6 when I do 'svn commit'.

Thank you.

Re: Check out files from subversion server

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.
On 3/13/07, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 23:52, ying lcs wrote:
>
> > Thanks. After I do a 'svn delete aDirectory', is it safe for me to
> > remove the '.svn' under 'aDirectory' before I do a 'svn commit'?
>
> It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but I don't know whether
> it's safe or not. Have you tried it? What happens when you commit?
> Does it succeed without error? Is the directory then actually removed
> from the repository and the working copy? If so, then it was probably
> safe. It's hard to make guarantees though when you go and mess with
> the .svn directories, since Subversion always assumes you will not do
> that.

Yes. That is not a good idea.

I screw up. Now I get this error:
Can you please tell me if there is anything I can do recover? Is it
safe to do a 'svn delete -force saved_pages/data' now?

$ svn commit -m "Fixes #40"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Directory '/home/yinglcs/saved_pages/data/.svn' containing
working copy admin area is missing

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. After I do a 'svn delete aDirectory', is it safe for me to
remove the '.svn' under 'aDirectory' before I do a 'svn commit'?

And what if I did remove '.svn' directory under aDirectory before I do
a 'svn commmit', how can I recover from that?

Posted by Konrad Rosenbaum <ko...@silmor.de>.