Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com> on 2006/02/24 20:34:36 UTC

tomcat catalina.out getting bombed with debug messages on maven-proxy deploy

I have a vanilla installation of Tomcat 5.5 (with logging added, and
log4j.properties rootLogger set to level INFO), which starts up cleanly,
and writes maybe 15 lines to catalina.out -- no more. I then deploy the
maven-proxy-webapp.war, and catalina.out gets immediately bombed with
DEBUG level messages. It appears that most of the messages are coming
from the commons.digester and digester packages. Does this problem lie
in Tomcat, or in the web app? How do I filter the LOG level for this
information?

Thanks!

Brad

Re: tomcat catalina.out getting bombed with debug messages on maven-proxy deploy

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
Unless I'm missing something somewhere else, catalina.sh specifies
that logging.properties is the java.util.logging configuration file
used. I suppose changing the jre properties file is an option, though
if that works it leaves a big questions as to why this is the case.

Is anyone else having this issue?  I think pretty much anyone using
maven-proxy should be experiencing this. If you are using maven-proxy
on Tomcat 5.5 and are *not* experiencing this, I'd be interested to
know if you are using the compatibility package and jdk1.4.2 or not.
It appears that much of the DEBUG messages are coming from XML
parsing, and the xerces jars are part of the compatibility package.

Brad

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
This is a real incredible nuisance. It appears that Tomcat is using
java.util.logging, so I altered all the log levels in
conf/logging.properties to WARNING, and I'm still getting DEBUG messages
like crazy. hundreds, maybe thousands of them, I believe coming from
some XML parsing code. Does anyone know how and where to shut these
off?  I now have the Tomcat logging.properties file and my
log4j.properties file set, and they appear to be having no effect at all.

Help!  Thanks....

Brad

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.

Posted by Rob Gregory <Ro...@RosesGroup.co.uk>.