Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org> on 2017/06/15 19:47:05 UTC

Semantic Versioning

Hi everyone,

I have recently realized that Tomcat does not follow Semantic
Versioning, and even minor upgrades can break existing setups.

Most users today expect Semantic Versioning, which specifies the
following (from [1]):

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

 1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
 2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible
    manner, and
 3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as
extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

I think that it's important to adopt such a policy, so that minor
updates are easier to do, e.g. updating only the /lib directory without
worrying about the /bin or other directories.

     [1] http://semver.org/

Thank you,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: Semantic Versioning

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Semantic versioning doesn't work for Tomcat as major version number
increases are reserved for new Java EE specification versions.

There is also rather a lot of scope for debate on what is, and what is
not, part of the public API.

Mark