Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Enrico Straube <en...@cbb-software.com> on 2004/11/25 13:01:40 UTC

svn:external question

Hello,

how do I define that all external of my repository are read-only for
everyone? It should never be possible to change/commit changes through
an external. Can I do this with subversion?

Here is an example:
- two projects "calc" and "paint"
- User A have no rights to read or edit on project "calc".
- He must work on "paint" which has "calc" as external
- Now user A must get read access for "calc" through "paint"

Enrico Straube

mailto:enrico.straube@cbb-software.com

Re: svn:external question

Posted by Enrico Straube <en...@cbb-software.com>.
On Friday, November 26, 2004, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>>> So, in your mod_authz_svn access file, have you made the 'calc'
>>> project
>>> unreadable by user A?  If so, then when he checks out 'paint', the 2nd
>>> (automatic) checkout of 'calc' should not happen.  What happens when
>>> you try it?
>>
>> The problem is that user A can't compile the project 'paint' because
>> of missing header and lib files.

> Okay, then for user A, make 'paint' read-write, and 'calc' read-only.
> What's the problem?

The problem is, that we have different types of developer. Some of
them are on every project so they have always read/write access and
some user should only work on some project and have there read/write
access. I want to prevent the user to change an external repository
per default. All users should only have read access to external
repositories.

I think that it is impossible to realize that.
Enrico Straube

Re: svn:external question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: svn:external question

Posted by Enrico Straube <en...@cbb-software.com>.

Re: svn:external question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: svn:external question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Nov 25, 2004, at 7:01 AM, Enrico Straube wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how do I define that all external of my repository are read-only for
> everyone? It should never be possible to change/commit changes through
> an external. Can I do this with subversion?
>
> Here is an example:
> - two projects "calc" and "paint"
> - User A have no rights to read or edit on project "calc".
> - He must work on "paint" which has "calc" as external
> - Now user A must get read access for "calc" through "paint"

The svn:external property is irrelevant.  To make 'calc' project
unreadable by user A, you would use some sort of authorization policy.
I can't tell you how to do it, because I don't know if you're using
svnserve or apache.  Either way, authorization setup is documented in
chapter 6.  Read through it.

Re: svn:external question

Posted by ar...@betasystems.com.

why and how do you prevent user A to read from calc.
and if he can't read from calc, I think he can't use calc as external.

best regards
Arash

             Enrico Straube
             <enrico.straube@c
             bb-software.com>                                           To
                                       users@subversion.tigris.org
             25.11.2004 14:01                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         svn:external question
              Enrico Straube
             <enrico.straube@c
             bb-software.com>