Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2021/05/04 17:50:01 UTC

Sorting XML resource files

Please review CALCITE-4593 [1] and its PR [2]. I would like to squash
and merge in 24 hours.

Note that this change sorts several major src/test/resources/*/*.xml
files, so it will not merge cleanly with other PRs. (But the whole
point of this change is that such files will merge cleanly in future.)

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4593

[2] https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/2409

Re: Sorting XML resource files

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Julian,

Thanks for pushing this forward and making the code merge-friendly.

Frankly speaking, we should consider splitting the files which would make
sorting obsolete.
So I would not invest in sorting much.

The current code with modCount looks non-trivial, and I have no idea if
there are bugs (e.g. missing modCount++) there.
I am OK to trust you that it does sort the items, and I think modCount++
and the other complexity could be removed as we split the files.

Here's the issue for splitting the files:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4595

Just in case, splitting big files into per-test ones opens a way for
https://approvaltests.com/ which has plugins for IDEs
to operate with reference test outputs.

Vladimir